Terms Used In Kansas Statutes 65-3423

  • Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
  • Department: means the Kansas department of health and environment. See Kansas Statutes 65-3402
  • Person: means individual, partnership, firm, trust, company, association, corporation, individual or individuals having controlling or majority interest in a corporation, institution, political subdivision, state agency or federal department or agency. See Kansas Statutes 65-3402
  • Solid waste: means garbage, refuse, waste tires as defined by K. See Kansas Statutes 65-3402
  • State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Kansas Statutes 77-201

(a) When a city or a county or any combination of cities or counties, or both, provides for a facility or facilities to recover materials or energy as a part of an approved solid waste management plan, the city or county or the separate legal entity created to govern the combination of cities or counties, or both, if such an entity exists, may enter into contracts with private persons for the performance of any such functions of the plan which, in the opinion of the city or county or such separate legal entity, can desirably and conveniently be carried out by a private person under contract provided any such contract shall contain such terms and conditions as will enable the city or county or such separate legal entity to retain overall supervision and control of the business, design, operating management, transportation, marketing, planning and research and development functions to be carried out or to be performed by such private persons pursuant to such contract. Such contracts may be entered into either on a negotiated or an open-bid basis, and the city or county or such separate legal entity in its discretion may select the type of contract it deems most prudent to utilize considering the scope of work, the management complexities associated therewith, the extent of current and future technological development requirements and the best interests of the state.

(b) Private entities may construct, operate, maintain and own resource recovery facilities; form contracts to supply solid waste to the resource recovery facility or facilities; form contracts to market materials or energy recovered from such facility or facilities; or utilize such facility or facilities to conserve materials or energy by reducing the volume of solid waste under the supervision of and with the approval of the city or county or such separate legal entity, subject to the approval of the Kansas department of health and environment, and in accordance with the approved local solid waste management plan.