Terms Used In Kansas Statutes 65-5311
- Asbestos: means that asbestiform varieties of: Chrysotile, crocidolite, amosite, anthophyllite, tremolite and actinolite. See Kansas Statutes 65-5301
- Asbestos project: means an activity undertaken to remove or encapsulate friable asbestos containing materials. See Kansas Statutes 65-5301
- Business entity: means a partnership, firm, association, corporation, sole proprietorship or other business concern. See Kansas Statutes 65-5301
- License: means an authorization issued by the secretary permitting a business entity to engage in an asbestos project. See Kansas Statutes 65-5301
- Secretary: means the secretary of health and environment. See Kansas Statutes 65-5301
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
(a) In an emergency that results from a sudden, unexpected event that is not a planned renovation or demolition, the secretary may waive the requirement for a license.
(b) The secretary may approve, on a case-by-case basis, an alternative to a required public health protection procedure for an asbestos project if the business entity or state or political or taxing subdivision of the state submits a written description of the alternative procedure to the secretary and demonstrates to the satisfaction of the secretary that the proposed alternative procedure provides equivalent protection.
(c) If a business entity or state or political or taxing subdivision of the state is not primarily engaged in the removal or encapsulation of asbestos, the secretary may waive the requirement for a license if public health protection requirements are met or an alternative procedure is approved under subsection (b).