Michigan Laws > Chapter 338 > Act 135 of 1986 – Asbestos Abatement Contractors Licensing Act
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In Michigan Laws > Chapter 338 > Act 135 of 1986 - Asbestos Abatement Contractors Licensing Act
- Advice and consent: Under the Constitution, presidential nominations for executive and judicial posts take effect only when confirmed by the Senate, and international treaties become effective only when the Senate approves them by a two-thirds vote.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Asbestos: means a group of naturally occurring minerals that separate into fibers, including chrysotile, amosite, crocidolite, anthophyllite, tremolite, and actinolite. See Michigan Laws 338.3103
- Asbestos abatement contractor: means a business entity that is licensed under this act and that carries on the business of asbestos abatement on the premises of another business entity and not on the asbestos abatement contractor's premises. See Michigan Laws 338.3103
- Asbestos abatement project: means any activity involving persons working directly with the demolition, renovation, or encapsulation of friable asbestos materials. See Michigan Laws 338.3103
- Authority: means the local community stabilization authority created under the local community stabilization authority act. See Michigan Laws 205.92c
- Board: means the asbestos abatement contractors licensing board created in section 201. See Michigan Laws 338.3103
- Business: means all activities engaged in by a person or caused to be engaged in by a person with the object of gain, benefit, or advantage, either direct or indirect. See Michigan Laws 205.92
- Business entity: means a person, partnership, firm, association, corporation, sole proprietorship, public or private agency, or other legal entity. See Michigan Laws 338.3103
- Commissioner: means the director. See Michigan Laws 500.102
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Computer: means an electronic device that accepts information in digital or similar form and manipulates it for a result based on a sequence of instructions. See Michigan Laws 205.92b
- Computer software: means a set of coded instructions designed to cause a computer or automatic data processing equipment to perform a task. See Michigan Laws 205.92b
- Construction contractor: means a business entity that, pursuant to a contract with the owner or lessee of real property, provides an improvement to that property. See Michigan Laws 338.3103
- Construction subcontractor: means a business entity that, pursuant to a contract with a person other than the owner or lessee of the real property, performs any part of a construction contractor's contract for an improvement to that property. See Michigan Laws 338.3103
- Consumer: means the person who has purchased tangible personal property or services for storage, use, or other consumption in this state and includes, but is not limited to, 1 or more of the following:
(i) A person acquiring tangible personal property if engaged in the business of constructing, altering, repairing, or improving the real estate of others. See Michigan Laws 205.92
Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed. Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant. Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name. Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime. Demolition: means the razing or taking out of any load-supporting structural member and any related removing or stripping of friable asbestos materials. See Michigan Laws 338.3103 Dental prosthesis: means a bridge, crown, denture, or other similar artificial device used to repair or replace intraoral defects such as missing teeth, missing parts of teeth, and missing soft or hard structures of the jaw or palate. See Michigan Laws 205.92b Department: means the department of consumer and industry services. See Michigan Laws 338.3103 Department: means the department of insurance and financial services. See Michigan Laws 500.102 Department: means the department of treasury. See Michigan Laws 205.92 Director: means , unless the context clearly implies a different meaning, the director of the department. See Michigan Laws 500.102 Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial. Electronic: means relating to technology having electrical, digital, magnetic, wireless, optical, electromagnetic, or similar capabilities. See Michigan Laws 205.92b Electronic funds transfer: The transfer of money between accounts by consumer electronic systems-such as automated teller machines (ATMs) and electronic payment of bills-rather than by check or cash. (Wire transfers, checks, drafts, and paper instruments do not fall into this category.) Source: OCC Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other. Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller. Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006. Freedom of Information Act: A federal law that mandates that all the records created and kept by federal agencies in the executive branch of government must be open for public inspection and copying. The only exceptions are those records that fall into one of nine exempted categories listed in the statute. Source: OCC in writing: shall be construed to include printing, engraving, and lithographing; except that if the written signature of a person is required by law, the signature shall be the proper handwriting of the person or, if the person is unable to write, the person's proper mark, which may be, unless otherwise expressly prohibited by law, a clear and classifiable fingerprint of the person made with ink or another substance. See Michigan Laws 8.3q Indemnification: In general, a collateral contract or assurance under which one person agrees to secure another person against either anticipated financial losses or potential adverse legal consequences. Source: FDIC Insurer: means an individual, corporation, association, partnership, reciprocal exchange, inter-insurer, Lloyds organization, fraternal benefit society, or other legal entity, engaged or attempting to engage in the business of making insurance or surety contracts. See Michigan Laws 500.106 Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC Lease or rental: means any transfer of possession or control of tangible personal property for a fixed or indeterminate term for consideration and may include future options to purchase or extend. See Michigan Laws 205.92b Legal tender: coins, dollar bills, or other currency issued by a government as official money. Source: U.S. Mint License: means an authorization issued by the department upon recommendation by the board for demolition, renovation, encapsulation, or removal of asbestos. See Michigan Laws 338.3103 Manufacture: means to convert or condition tangible personal property by changing the form, composition, quality, combination, or character of the property. See Michigan Laws 205.93a Manufacturer: means a person who manufactures, fabricates, or assembles tangible personal property. See Michigan Laws 205.93a Minority leader: See Floor Leaders month: means a calendar month; the word "year" a calendar year; and the word "year" alone shall be equivalent to the words "year of our Lord". See Michigan Laws 8.3j motel: means a building or group of buildings in which the public may obtain accommodations for a consideration, including, without limitation, such establishments as inns, motels, tourist homes, tourist houses or courts, lodging houses, rooming houses, nudist camps, apartment hotels, resort lodges and cabins, camps operated by other than nonprofit organizations but not including those licensed under 1973 PA 116, MCL 722. See Michigan Laws 205.93a Neutral party: means a business entity that is not part of the asbestos abatement contractor's primary or secondary family and is not legally associated to any business operated by the asbestos abatement contractor. See Michigan Laws 338.3103 Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period. Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses. Person: means an individual, firm, partnership, joint venture, association, social club, fraternal organization, municipal or private corporation whether or not organized for profit, company, limited liability company, estate, trust, receiver, trustee, syndicate, the United States, this state, county, or any other group or combination acting as a unit, and the plural as well as the singular number, unless the intention to give a more limited meaning is disclosed by the context. See Michigan Laws 205.92 Personal property: All property that is not real property. price: means the total amount of consideration paid by the consumer to the seller, including cash, credit, property, and services, for which tangible personal property or services are sold, leased, or rented, valued in money, whether received in money or otherwise, and applies to the measure subject to use tax. See Michigan Laws 205.92 Prosthetic device: means , except as provided in section 4ff, a replacement, corrective, or supportive device, other than contact lenses and dental prosthesis, dispensed pursuant to a prescription, including repair or replacement parts for that device, worn on or in the body to do 1 or more of the following:
(i) Artificially replace a missing portion of the body. See Michigan Laws 205.92b
Purchase: means to acquire for a consideration, whether the acquisition is effected by a transfer of title, of possession, or of both, or a license to use or consume; whether the transfer is absolute or conditional, and by whatever means the transfer is effected; and whether consideration is a price or rental in money, or by way of exchange or barter. See Michigan Laws 205.92 Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business. Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land. Redlining: The alleged practice of certain lending institutions of not making mortgage, home improvement, and small business loans in certain neighborhoods-usually areas that are deteriorating or considered by the lender to be poor investments. Source: OCC Removal: means the taking out or stripping of asbestos from an existing structure. See Michigan Laws 338.3103 Renovation: means the removal or stripping of friable asbestos materials used on any pipe, duct, boiler, tank, reactor, turbine, furnace, or structural member. See Michigan Laws 338.3103 Sale: means a transaction by which tangible personal property or services are purchased or rented for storage, use, or other consumption in this state. See Michigan Laws 205.92 Seller: means the person from whom a purchase is made and includes every person selling tangible personal property or services for storage, use, or other consumption in this state. See Michigan Laws 205.92 state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, shall be construed to extend to and include the District of Columbia and the several territories belonging to the United States; and the words "United States" shall be construed to include the district and territories. See Michigan Laws 8.3o Storage: means a keeping or retention of property in this state for any purpose after the property loses its interstate character. See Michigan Laws 205.92 Structural member: means any load-supporting member, including, but not limited to, beams and load-supporting walls, or any nonsupporting member, including, but not limited to, ceilings and nonload-supporting walls. See Michigan Laws 338.3103 Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony. subscriber: means an individual who enters into an insurance contract for health insurance, or on whose behalf an insurance contract for health insurance is entered into, with an insurer. See Michigan Laws 500.116 Tangible personal property: means personal property that can be seen, weighed, measured, felt, or touched or that is in any other manner perceptible to the senses and includes electricity, water, gas, steam, and prewritten computer software. See Michigan Laws 205.92 Tax: includes all taxes, interest, or penalties levied under this act. See Michigan Laws 205.92 Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust. United States: shall be construed to include the district and territories. See Michigan Laws 8.3o Use: means the exercise of a right or power over tangible personal property incident to the ownership of that property including transfer of the property in a transaction where possession is given. See Michigan Laws 205.92