Terms Used In Kansas Statutes > Chapter 2 > Article 2
- Judgement that a criminal defendant has not been proved guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
- A verdict of "not guilty."
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Agent: means a person designated by a licensee to receive funds from a Kansas resident in order to forward such funds to the licensee to effectuate money transmission at one or more physical locations throughout the state or through the internet, regardless of whether such person would be exempt from the act by conducting money transmission on such person's own behalf;
(b) "commissioner" means the state bank commissioner;
(c) "control" means the power directly or indirectly to direct management or policies of a person engaged in money transmission or to vote 25% or more of any class of voting shares of a person engaged in money transmission;
(d) "electronic instrument" means a card or other tangible object for the transmission or payment of money, including a prepaid access card or device which contains a microprocessor chip, magnetic stripe or other means for the storage of information, that is prefunded and for which the value is decremented upon each use, but does not include a card or other tangible object that is redeemable by the issuer in goods or services;
(e) "licensee" means a person licensed under this act;
(f) "nationwide multi-state licensing system and registry" means a licensing system developed and maintained by the conference of state bank supervisors, or its successors and assigns, for the licensing and reporting of those persons engaging in the money transmission;
(g) "monetary value" means a medium of exchange, whether or not redeemable in money;
(h) "money transmission" means to engage in the business of the sale or issuance of payment instruments or of receiving money or monetary value for transmission to a location within or outside the United States by wire, facsimile, electronic means or any other means, except that money transmission does not include currency exchange where no transmission of money occurs;
(i) "outstanding payment liability" means:
(1) With respect to a payment instrument, any payment instrument issued or sold by the licensee which has been sold in the United States directly by the licensee, or any payment instrument that has been sold by an agent of the licensee in the United States, which has been reported to the licensee as having been sold and which has not yet been paid by or for the licensee; or
(2) with respect to the transmission of money or monetary value, any money or monetary value the licensee or an agent of the licensee has received from a customer in the United States for transmission which has not yet been delivered to the recipient or otherwise paid by the licensee;
(j) "payment instrument" means any electronic or written check, draft, money order, travelers check or other electronic or written instrument or order for the transmission or payment of money, sold or issued to one or more persons, whether or not such instrument is negotiable. See Kansas Statutes 9-508
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Annuity: A periodic (usually annual) payment of a fixed sum of money for either the life of the recipient or for a fixed number of years. A series of payments under a contract from an insurance company, a trust company, or an individual. Annuity payments are made at regular intervals over a period of more than one full year.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Application: means the submission of a consumer's financial information, including the consumer's name, income and social security number to obtain a credit report, the property address, an estimate of the value of the property and the mortgage loan amount sought, for the purpose of obtaining an extension of credit. See Kansas Statutes 9-2201
- Appraisal: A determination of property value.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- Attorney-in-fact: A person who, acting as an agent, is given written authorization by another person to transact business for him (her) out of court.
- Auction motor vehicle dealer: means any person who for commission, money or other thing of value is engaged in an auction of motor vehicles except that the sales of such motor vehicles shall involve only motor vehicles owned by licensed motor vehicle dealers and sold to licensed motor vehicle dealers, except that any auction motor vehicle dealer, registered as such and lawfully operating prior to June 30, 1980, shall be deemed to be and have been properly licensed under this act from and after July 1, 1980. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Bankruptcy: Refers to statutes and judicial proceedings involving persons or businesses that cannot pay their debts and seek the assistance of the court in getting a fresh start. Under the protection of the bankruptcy court, debtors may discharge their debts, perhaps by paying a portion of each debt. Bankruptcy judges preside over these proceedings.
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- Bequest: Property gifted by will.
- Board: means the vehicle dealer review board created by this act. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Bona fide office: means an applicant's or licensee's place of business with an office that:
(1) Is located in this state;
(2) is not located in a personal residence;
(3) has regular hours of operation;
(4) is accessible to the public;
(5) is leased or owned by the licensee and serves as an office for the transaction of the licensee's mortgage business;
(6) is separate from any office of another registrant; and
(7) is accessible to all of the licensee's books, records and documents. See Kansas Statutes 9-2201
- Branch office: means a place of business, other than a principal place of business, where mortgage business is conducted and which is licensed as required by this act. See Kansas Statutes 9-2201
- Broker: means any person who, for a fee, commission, money, other thing of value, valuable consideration or benefit, either directly or indirectly, arranges or offers to arrange a transaction involving the sale of a vehicle, or is engaged in the business of: (1) Selling or buying vehicles for other persons as an agent, middleman or negotiator; or (2) bringing buyers and sellers of vehicles together, but such term shall not include any person registered as a salvage vehicle pool or any person engaged in a business in which the acts described in this subsection are only incidentally performed or which are performed or authorized within the requirements or scope of any other category of license, or not prohibited, in the manner authorized by the vehicle dealers' and manufacturers' licensing act. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Commissioner: means the state bank commissioner or designee, who shall be the deputy commissioner of the consumer and mortgage lending division of the office of the state bank commissioner. See Kansas Statutes 9-2201
- Community Reinvestment Act: The Act is intended to encourage depository institutions to help meet the credit needs of the communities in which they operate, including low- and moderate-income neighborhoods. It was enacted by the Congress in 1977. Source: OCC
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Conservator: means an individual or corporation appointed by the court to act on behalf of a conservatee and possessed of some or all of the powers and duties set out in K. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Credit report: A detailed report of an individual's credit history prepared by a credit bureau and used by a lender in determining a loan applicant's creditworthiness. Source: OCC
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Dealer: means a vehicle dealer as defined by this act, unless the context otherwise requires. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Deed: is a pplied to an instrument conveying lands but does not imply a sealed instrument. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Director: means the director of vehicles, or a designee of the director. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Distributor: means any person who sells or distributes for resale new vehicles to new vehicle dealers in this state or who maintains distributor representatives in this state. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Distributor branch: means any branch office similar to subsection (q) maintained by a distributor for the same purposes as a factory branch. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Distributor representative: means any representative similar to subsection (s) employed by a distributor or distributor branch for the same purpose as a factory representative. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Division: means the division of vehicles of the department of revenue. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- Escheat: Reversion of real or personal property to the state when 1) a person dies without leaving a will and has no heirs, or 2) when the property (such as a bank account) has been inactive for a certain period of time. Source: OCC
- Escrow: Money given to a third party to be held for payment until certain conditions are met.
- Established place of business: means a building or structure, other than a building or structure all or part of which is occupied or used as a residence, owned either in fee or leased and designated as an office or place to receive mail and keep records and conduct the routine of business. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Executor: includes an administrator where the subject matter applies to an administrator. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Factory branch: means any branch office maintained in this state by a first or second stage manufacturer for the sale of new vehicles to distributors, or for the sale of new vehicles to new vehicle dealers, or for directing or supervising, in whole or in part, its representatives in this state. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Factory representative: means a representative employed by a first or second stage manufacturer or factory branch for the purpose of making or promoting the sale of its new vehicles to new vehicle dealers, or for supervising or contacting its new vehicle dealers or prospective new vehicle dealers with respect to the promotion and sale of such vehicles and parts or accessories for the same. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation: A government corporation that insures the deposits of all national and state banks that are members of the Federal Reserve System. Source: OCC
- Federal Reserve System: The central bank of the United States. The Fed, as it is commonly called, regulates the U.S. monetary and financial system. The Federal Reserve System is composed of a central governmental agency in Washington, D.C. (the Board of Governors) and twelve regional Federal Reserve Banks in major cities throughout the United States. Source: OCC
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- First stage converter: means any person who is engaged in the business of affixing to a chassis supplied by a first stage manufacturer, distributor or other supplier, specially constructed body units to result in motor vehicles used as, but not limited to, buses, wreckers, cement trucks and trash compactors. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- First stage manufacturer: means any person who manufactures, assembles and sells new vehicles to new vehicle dealers for resale in this state. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Franchise agreement: means any contract or franchise or any other terminology used to describe the contractual relationship between first or second stage manufacturers, distributors and vehicle dealers, by which:
(1) A right is granted one party to engage in the business of offering, selling or otherwise distributing goods or services under a marketing plan or system prescribed in substantial part by the other party, and in which there is a community of interest in the marketing of goods or services at wholesale or retail, by lease, agreement or otherwise; and
(2) the operation of the grantee's business pursuant to such agreement is substantially associated with the grantor's trademark, service mark, trade name, logotype, advertising or other commercial symbol designating the grantor or an affiliate of the grantor. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- General election: refers to the election required to be held on the Tuesday following the first Monday in November of each even-numbered year. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Grantor: The person who establishes a trust and places property into it.
- Guarantor: A party who agrees to be responsible for the payment of another party's debts should that party default. Source: OCC
- Incapacitated person: means an individual whose ability to receive and evaluate relevant information, or to effectively communicate decisions, or both, even with the use of assistive technologies or other supports, is impaired to the degree that the person lacks the capacity to manage the person's estate, or to meet essential needs for the person's physical health, safety or welfare, as defined in K. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Indemnification: In general, a collateral contract or assurance under which one person agrees to secure another person against either anticipated financial losses or potential adverse legal consequences. Source: FDIC
- Indictment: The formal charge issued by a grand jury stating that there is enough evidence that the defendant committed the crime to justify having a trial; it is used primarily for felonies.
- Individual: means a human being. See Kansas Statutes 9-2201
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Insurance company: means any person desiring to be licensed under this act and engaged in the business of writing or servicing insurance related to vehicles. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Interest rate: The amount paid by a borrower to a lender in exchange for the use of the lender's money for a certain period of time. Interest is paid on loans or on debt instruments, such as notes or bonds, either at regular intervals or as part of a lump sum payment when the issue matures. Source: OCC
- Joint committee: Committees including membership from both houses of teh legislature. Joint committees are usually established with narrow jurisdictions and normally lack authority to report legislation.
- Joint tenancy: A form of property ownership in which two or more parties hold an undivided interest in the same property that was conveyed under the same instrument at the same time. A joint tenant can sell his (her) interest but not dispose of it by will. Upon the death of a joint tenant, his (her) undivided interest is distributed among the surviving joint tenants.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lawsuit: A legal action started by a plaintiff against a defendant based on a complaint that the defendant failed to perform a legal duty, resulting in harm to the plaintiff.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Legislative session: That part of a chamber's daily session in which it considers legislative business (bills, resolutions, and actions related thereto).
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- License: means a license issued by the commissioner to engage in mortgage business as a mortgage company. See Kansas Statutes 9-2201
- Licensee: means a person who is licensed by the commissioner as a mortgage company. See Kansas Statutes 9-2201
- Licensee: means any person issued a valid license pursuant to this act. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- Loan originator: means an individual:
(1) Who engages in mortgage business on behalf of a single mortgage company;
(2) whose conduct of mortgage business is the responsibility of the licensee;
(3) who takes a residential mortgage loan application or offers or negotiates terms of a residential mortgage loan for compensation or gain or in the expectation of compensation or gain; and
(4) whose job responsibilities include contact with borrowers during the loan origination process, which can include soliciting, negotiating, acquiring, arranging or making mortgage loans for others, obtaining personal or financial information, assisting with the preparation of loan applications or other documents, quoting loan rates or terms or providing required disclosures. See Kansas Statutes 9-2201
- Loan processor or underwriter: means an individual who performs clerical or support duties as an employee at the direction and subject to the supervision and instruction of a person registered or exempt from registration under this act. See Kansas Statutes 9-2201
- Major component part: means any vehicle part including the front clip, rear clip, doors, frame, chassis, engine, transmission, transaxle, cab, bed and box bearing the public vehicle identification number or engine number, if manufactured prior to 1981; or any vehicle part bearing a derivative of such number. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Manufactured home: means a structure which:
(1) Is transportable in one or more sections which, in the traveling mode, is 8 body feet or more in width or 40 body feet or more in length, or, when erected on site, is 320 or more square feet, and which is built on a permanent chassis and designed to be used as a dwelling, with or without permanent foundation, when connected to the required utilities, and includes the plumbing, heating, air conditioning and electrical systems contained therein; and
(2) is subject to the federal manufactured home construction and safety standards established pursuant to 42 U. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Markup: The process by which congressional committees and subcommittees debate, amend, and rewrite proposed legislation.
- Minor: means any person defined by K. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Minority leader: See Floor Leaders
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Month: means a calendar month, unless otherwise expressed. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Mortgage business: means engaging in, or holding out to the public as willing to engage in, for compensation or gain, or in the expectation of compensation or gain, directly or indirectly, the business of making, originating, servicing, soliciting, placing, negotiating, acquiring, selling, arranging for others, or holding the rights to or offering to solicit, place, negotiate, acquire, sell or arrange for others, mortgage loans in the primary market. See Kansas Statutes 9-2201
- Mortgage company: means a person engaged in mortgage business from a principal place of business or branch office, which has been licensed as required by this act. See Kansas Statutes 9-2201
- Mortgage loan: means a loan or agreement to extend credit made to one or more individuals which is secured by a first or subordinate mortgage, deed of trust, contract for deed or other similar instrument or document representing a security interest or lien, except as provided for in K. See Kansas Statutes 9-2201
- Mortgage servicing: means collecting payment, remitting payment for another or the right to collect or remit payment of any of the following: Principal; interest; tax; insurance; or other payment under a mortgage loan. See Kansas Statutes 9-2201
- Mortgagee: The person to whom property is mortgaged and who has loaned the money.
- Mortgagor: The person who pledges property to a creditor as collateral for a loan and who receives the money.
- Motor vehicle: means any vehicle other than a motorized bicycle, which is self-propelled and is required to be registered under the provisions of article 1 of chapter 8 of Kansas Statutes Annotated, except that such term shall include micro utility trucks, as defined in K. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- municipalities: shall mean every municipality and governmental subdivision in the state of Kansas which is authorized to issue bonds of indebtedness. See Kansas Statutes 10-128
- Municipality: as used in this chapter and all acts amendatory thereto, unless otherwise expressed in such amendment, shall mean and include every corporation and quasi corporation empowered to issue bonds in payment of which taxes may be levied. See Kansas Statutes 10-101
- National Bank: A bank that is subject to the supervision of the Comptroller of the Currency. The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency is a bureau of the U.S. Treasury Department. A national bank can be recognized because it must have "national" or "national association" in its name. Source: OCC
- Nationwide mortgage licensing system and registry: means a mortgage licensing system developed and maintained by the conference of state bank supervisors and the American association of residential mortgage regulators for the licensing and registration of mortgage loan originators. See Kansas Statutes 9-2201
- New motor vehicle: means any motor vehicle which has never been titled or registered and has not been substantially driven or operated. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- New vehicle dealer: means any vehicle dealer who is a party to an agreement, with a first or second stage manufacturer or distributor, which agreement authorizes the vehicle dealer to sell, exchange or transfer new motor vehicles, trucks, motorcycles, or trailers or parts and accessories made or sold by such first or second stage manufacturer or distributor and obligates the vehicle dealer to fulfill the warranty commitments of such first or second stage manufacturer or distributor. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Nolo contendere: No contest-has the same effect as a plea of guilty, as far as the criminal sentence is concerned, but may not be considered as an admission of guilt for any other purpose.
- Not-for-profit: means a business entity that is granted tax exempt status by the internal revenue service. See Kansas Statutes 9-2201
- Oath: includes an affirmation in all cases where an affirmation may be substituted for an oath, and in similar cases "swear" includes affirm. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- passenger car: means a motor vehicle, manufactured or assembled after January 1, 1968, or a motor vehicle manufactured or assembled prior to 1968 which was manufactured or assembled with safety belts, with motive power designed for carrying 10 passengers or fewer, including vans, but does not include a motorcycle or a motor-driven cycle. See Kansas Statutes 8-2502
- permissible investments: means :
(2) deposits in a demand or interest bearing account with a domestic federally insured depository institution, including certificates of deposit;
(3) debt obligations of a domestic federally insured depository institution;
(4) any investment bearing a rating of one of the three highest grades as defined by a nationally recognized organization that rates such securities;
(5) investment grade bonds and other legally created general obligations of a state, an agency or political subdivision of a state, the United States or an instrumentality of the United States;
(6) obligations that a state, an agency or political subdivision of a state, the United States or an instrumentality of the United States has unconditionally agreed to purchase, insure or guarantee and that bear a rating of one of the three highest grades as defined by a nationally recognized organization that rates securities;
(7) shares in a money market mutual fund, interest-bearing bills or notes or bonds, debentures or stock traded on any national securities exchange or on a national over-the-counter market, or mutual funds primarily composed of such securities or a fund composed of one or more permissible investments as set forth herein;
(8) receivables that are payable to a licensee, in the ordinary course of business, pursuant to contracts which are not past due and which do not exceed in the aggregate 40% of the total required permissible investments pursuant to K. See Kansas Statutes 9-508
- person: means any individual, partnership, association, joint-stock association, trust, corporation or any other form of business enterprise;
(m) "resident" means any natural person or business entity located in this state;
(n) "service provider" means any person that provides services as described in K. See Kansas Statutes 9-508
- Person: means any individual, sole proprietorship, corporation, partnership, trust, association, joint venture, pool syndicate, unincorporated organization or other form of entity, however organized. See Kansas Statutes 9-2201
- Person: means any natural person, partnership, firm, corporation or association. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Personal property: includes money, goods, chattels, evidences of debt and things in action, and digital assets as defined in the revised uniform fiduciary access to digital assets act, K. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Precedent: A court decision in an earlier case with facts and law similar to a dispute currently before a court. Precedent will ordinarily govern the decision of a later similar case, unless a party can show that it was wrongly decided or that it differed in some significant way.
- Presiding officer: A majority-party Senator who presides over the Senate and is charged with maintaining order and decorum, recognizing Members to speak, and interpreting the Senate's rules, practices and precedents.
- Primary market: means the market wherein mortgage business is conducted including activities conducted by any person who assumes or accepts any mortgage business responsibilities of the original parties to the transaction. See Kansas Statutes 9-2201
- Principal place of business: means a licensed place of business where mortgage business is conducted, which has been designated by a licensee as the primary headquarters from which all mortgage business and administrative activities are managed and directed. See Kansas Statutes 9-2201
- Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law.
- Promotional items: means pens, pencils, hats and other such novelty items. See Kansas Statutes 9-2201
- Property: includes personal and real property. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Ranking minority member: The highest ranking (and usually longest serving) minority member of a committee or subcommittee.
- real property: include lands, tenements and hereditaments, and all rights to them and interest in them, equitable as well as legal. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Rebuilder: means a person who is engaged in the business of rebuilding salvage vehicles, as defined in K. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Recourse: An arrangement in which a bank retains, in form or in substance, any credit risk directly or indirectly associated with an asset it has sold (in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles) that exceeds a pro rata share of the bank's claim on the asset. If a bank has no claim on an asset it has sold, then the retention of any credit risk is recourse. Source: FDIC
- Registrant: means any individual who holds a valid registration to conduct mortgage business in this state as a loan originator. See Kansas Statutes 9-2201
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Residence: means the place which is adopted by a person as the person's place of habitation and to which, whenever the person is absent, the person has the intention of returning. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- Salvage vehicle dealer: means any person engaged in the business of buying, selling or exchanging used vehicles and primarily engaged in the business of the distribution at wholesale or retail of used motor vehicle parts and includes establishments primarily engaged in dismantling motor vehicles for the purpose of selling parts. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Salvage vehicle pool: means any person who as an agent for a third party is primarily engaged in the business of storing, displaying and offering for sale salvage vehicles. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Salvage yard: means the place owned or leased and regularly occupied by a person, firm or corporation licensed under the provisions of this act for the principal purpose of engaging in the business of a salvage vehicle dealer. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Scrap metal recycler: means a person who engages in the business of shredding or otherwise processing nonrepairable vehicles or other scrap metal into prepared grades and whose principal product is scrap iron, scrap steel or nonferrous metallic scrap for sale for remelting purposes. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- seal: includes an impression of the seal upon the paper alone, as well as upon wax or a wafer affixed to the paper. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Second stage converter: means any person who is engaged in the business of adding to, subtracting from or modifying previously assembled or manufactured vehicles and sells the resulting converted vehicles at retail or wholesale. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Second stage manufacturer: means any person who assembles, installs or permanently affixes body, cab or special unit equipment to a chassis supplied by a first stage manufacturer, distributor or other supplier and sells the resulting new vehicles to new vehicle dealers for resale in this state. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Statute of limitations: A law that sets the time within which parties must take action to enforce their rights.
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Supplemental place of business: means a business location other than that of the established place of business of the dealer which may be operated by the dealer on a continuous year-round basis and, for new vehicle dealers, is within the defined area of responsibility in their franchise agreement, and for all other dealers is within the same city or county where the established place of business of the dealer is operated. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- tangible net worth: means the physical worth of a licensee, calculated by taking a licensee's assets and subtracting its liabilities and its intangible assets, such as copyrights, patents, intellectual property and goodwill. See Kansas Statutes 9-508
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- Undertaking: means a promise or security in any form where required by law. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Uniform Commercial Code: A set of statutes enacted by the various states to provide consistency among the states' commercial laws. It includes negotiable instruments, sales, stock transfers, trust and warehouse receipts, and bills of lading. Source: OCC
- Unique identifier: means a number or other identifier assigned by protocols established by the nationwide mortgage licensing system and registry. See Kansas Statutes 9-2201
- Used vehicle dealer: means any person actively engaged in the business of buying, selling or exchanging used vehicles. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Vehicle: means every device in, upon or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a public highway, and is required to be registered under the provisions of article 1 of chapter 8 of Kansas Statutes Annotated, except that such term shall include micro utility trucks, as defined in K. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Vehicle crusher: means any person, other than a vehicle recycler or a scrap metal recycler, who engages in the business of flattening, crushing or otherwise processing nonrepairable vehicles for recycling. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Vehicle dealer: means any person who: (1) For commission, money or other thing of value is engaged in the business of buying, selling or offering or attempting to negotiate a sale of an interest in vehicles; or (2) for commission, money or other thing of value is engaged in the business of buying, selling or offering or attempting to negotiate a sale of an interest in motor vehicles as an auction motor vehicle dealer as defined in (bb); but does not include: (A) Receivers, trustees, administrators, executors, guardians, or other persons appointed by or acting under the judgment or order of any court, or any bank, trustee or lending company or institution which is subject to state or federal regulations as such, with regard to its disposition of repossessed vehicles; (B) public officers while performing their official duties; (C) employees of persons enumerated in provisions (A) and (B), when engaged in the specific performance of their duties as such employees; (D) auctioneers conducting auctions for persons enumerated in provisions (A), (B) or (C); or (E) auctioneers who, while engaged in conducting an auction of tangible personal property for others, offer for sale: (i) Vehicles which have been used primarily in a farm or business operation by the owner offering the vehicle for sale, including all vehicles which qualified for a farm vehicle tag at the time of sale except vehicles owned by a business engaged primarily in the business of leasing or renting passenger cars; (ii) vehicles which meet the statutory definition of antique vehicles; or (iii) vehicles for no more than four principals or households per auction. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Vehicle recycler: means a person who engages in the business of acquiring, dismantling, removing parts from or destroying nonrepairable vehicles for the primary purpose of reselling the vehicle parts. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Vehicle salesperson: means any person who is employed as a salesperson by a vehicle dealer to sell vehicles. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Ward: means a person who has a guardian. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Wholesaler: means any person who purchases vehicles for the purpose of resale to a vehicle dealer. See Kansas Statutes 8-2401
- Writ: A formal written command, issued from the court, requiring the performance of a specific act.