The following words and phrases, as used in this Chapter, unless a different meaning is plainly required by the context, shall have the following meanings:
(1) “Accumulated contributions” shall mean the sum of all the amounts deducted from the compensation of a member and credited to his individual account in the annuity savings fund together with regular interest thereon as provided in Part VII of this Chapter.
(2) “Actuarial equivalent” shall mean a benefit of equal value when computed upon the basis of such mortality tables as shall be adopted by the board of trustees, and regular interest.
(3) “Annuity” shall mean payments for life derived from the “accumulated contributions” of a member. All annuities shall be payable in equal monthly installments.
(4) “Annuity reserve” shall mean the present value of all payments to be made on account of any annuity, or benefit in lieu of any annuity computed upon the basis of such mortality tables as shall be adopted by the board of trustees, and regular interest.
(5)(a) “Average final compensation” shall mean the average monthly compensation earned by an employee during any period of sixty successive months of service as an employee during which the said earned compensation was the highest. The average monthly compensation shall include compensation not paid by the state, but only to the extent that nonstate compensation for the thirteenth through the twenty-fourth month does not exceed one hundred ten percent of the total of nonstate compensation for the first through twelfth month, and that nonstate compensation for the twenty-fifth through the thirty-sixth month does not exceed one hundred ten percent of the total of nonstate compensation for the thirteenth through the twenty-fourth month, and that nonstate compensation for the thirty-seventh through the forty-eighth month does not exceed one hundred ten percent of the total of nonstate compensation for the twenty-fifth through thirty-sixth month, and that nonstate compensation for the forty-ninth through the sixtieth month does not exceed one hundred ten percent of the total of nonstate compensation for the thirty-seventh through forty-eighth month. Fees earned in connection with official duties shall not be included in average final compensation. In the event of interruption of employment, the sixty-month period shall be computed by joining employment periods immediately preceding and succeeding the interruption.
(b) Compensation of a member in excess of two hundred thousand dollars, as adjusted for increases in the cost-of-living under 26 U.S.C. 401(a)(17)(B) for years beginning after January 1, 2002, shall not be taken into account. This limitation may be adjusted by rules promulgated by the board of trustees in accordance with the provisions of the Administrative Procedure Act, R.S. 49:950 et seq. For purposes of compliance with the requirements for qualification under 26 U.S.C. 401(a), the board of trustees may promulgate rules further defining “compensation” and “section 415 compensation” in accordance with the Administrative Procedure Act.
(6) “Beneficiary” shall mean any person designated to receive a pension, an annuity, a retirement allowance or other benefit as provided by this Chapter.
(7) “Board of Trustees” shall mean the Board provided for in R.S. 11:1651 to administer the retirement system.
(8) “Creditable service” shall mean service for which credit is allowable as provided in R.S. 11:1604 and Part III of this Chapter.
(9) “Earnable compensation” shall mean the full rate of compensation that would be payable to the member (employee) if he worked the full working time, including the expense allowance paid to the district attorney by the state of Louisiana.
(10) “Employee” shall mean any district attorney of the state of Louisiana, or any assistant district attorney in any parish of the state of Louisiana. “Employee” shall also mean a person employed by this retirement system and the Louisiana District Attorneys’ Association.
(11) “Employer” shall mean any parish in the state of Louisiana; the state of Louisiana, or the police jury or any other governing body of a parish or political corporation or subdivision of the state of Louisiana which employs and pays persons as district attorneys or assistant district attorneys. “Employer” shall also mean this retirement system.
(12) “Employers’ annuity” shall mean payments for life derived from money provided by the employer or employing agency, or the parishes of Louisiana, or the state of Louisiana.
(13) “Medical board” shall mean the State Medical Disability Board.
(14) “Member” shall include any employee, as defined in Paragraph (10) of this Section, included in the membership of this system as provided in Part II of this Chapter.
(15) “Membership service” shall mean service for which credit is allowable as provided in R.S. 11:1604 and Part III of this Chapter.
(16) “Prior service” shall mean service rendered prior to the date of the establishment of this retirement system for which credit is allowable as provided in R.S. 11:1604 and Part III of this Chapter.
(17) “Regular interest” shall mean interest compounded annually at such a rate as shall be determined by the board of trustees in accordance with R.S. 11:1671(B).
(18) “Retirement” shall mean withdrawal from active service with a retirement allowance granted under the provisions of this Chapter.
(19) “Retirement allowance” shall mean the sum of the “annuity” and the “employers’ annuity”, or any optional benefit payable in lieu thereof.
(20) “Retirement System” shall mean the District Attorneys’ Retirement System as defined in R.S. 11:1582.
(21) “Service” shall mean service rendered as an employee as described in Paragraph (10) of this Section.
Added by Acts 1956, No. 56, §1. Amended by Acts 1958, No. 156, §1; Acts 1975, No. 745, §1; Acts 1978, No. 727, §2, eff. Jan. 1, 1979; Acts 1983, No. 263, §1, eff. June 30, 1983; Redesignated from R.S. 16:1001 by Acts 1991, No. 74, §3, eff. June 25, 1991; Acts 1993, No. 234, §1, eff. June 1, 1993; Acts 2012, No. 515, §1, eff. Jan. 1, 2013; Acts 2012, No. 523, §1, eff. Jan. 1, 2013.
NOTE: See Acts 2012, No. 515, §2 regarding implementation of changes to calculation of average final compensation.