|§ 37.231||Short title; definitions|
|§ 37.232||Person with control over public accommodation or public service; prohibited conduct|
|§ 37.233||Civil action; injunctive relief and damages; costs; fees|
Terms Used In Michigan Laws > Chapter 37 > Act 197 of 2014 - Breastfeeding Antidiscrimination Act
- child: means a single or married individual under 21 years of age whose activity is or may become so restricted by disease or specified medical condition as to reduce the individual's normal capacity for education and self-support. See Michigan Laws 333.5801
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- person: may extend and be applied to bodies politic and corporate, as well as to individuals. See Michigan Laws 8.3l
- Place of public accommodation: means a business, an educational institution, or a refreshment, entertainment, recreation, health, or transportation facility of any kind, whether licensed or not, whose goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations are extended, offered, sold, or otherwise made available to the public. See Michigan Laws 37.231
- Public service: means a public facility, department, agency, board, or commission owned, operated, or managed by or on behalf of this state or a subdivision of this state, by a county, city, village, township, or independent or regional district in this state, or by a tax-exempt private agency established to provide service to the public, except that public service does not include a state or county correctional facility with respect to actions or decisions regarding an individual serving a sentence of imprisonment. See Michigan Laws 37.231
- shall: is a lways mandatory and not directory, and denotes that the dwelling shall be maintained in all respects according to the mandate as long as it continues to be a dwelling. See Michigan Laws 125.402
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, shall be construed to extend to and include the District of Columbia and the several territories belonging to the United States; and the words "United States" shall be construed to include the district and territories. See Michigan Laws 8.3o
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.