Terms Used In Michigan Laws > Chapter 37 > Act 44 of 1982 - Polygraph Protection Act of 1981
- Agent orange: means the chemical herbicide made from chemicals known as 2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid and its esters, or 2,4-D, and Trichlorophenoxyacetic acid and its esters, or 2,4,5-T. See Michigan Laws 333.5701
- Annual claim cost: means the net annual cost per unit of benefit before the addition of expenses, including claim settlement expenses, and a margin for profit or contingencies. See Michigan Laws 500.701
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Authority: means a land bank fast track authority created under section 15, section 23(4), or section 23(5). See Michigan Laws 124.753
- Authority board: means the board of directors of the state authority appointed under section 16. See Michigan Laws 124.753
- Bequest: Property gifted by will.
- Chemical agent: means a chemical herbicide or defoliant other than agent orange, or a chemical weapon, which chemical herbicide, defoliant, or weapon is of the type used by the armed forces of the United States. See Michigan Laws 333.5701
- child: means a single or married individual under 21 years of age whose activity is or may become so restricted by disease or specified medical condition as to reduce the individual's normal capacity for education and self-support. See Michigan Laws 333.5801
- Commission: means the agent orange commission created in section 5731. See Michigan Laws 333.5701
- Commissioner: means the director. See Michigan Laws 500.102
- Common law: The legal system that originated in England and is now in use in the United States. It is based on judicial decisions rather than legislative action.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- corner lot: is a lot of which at least 2 adjacent sides abut for their full length upon a street. See Michigan Laws 125.402
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- County authority: means a county land bank fast track authority created by a county foreclosing governmental unit under section 23(4). See Michigan Laws 124.753
- court: is a n open unoccupied space on the same lot with a dwelling and bounded on 2 or more sides with the walls of the dwelling. See Michigan Laws 125.402
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Date of disablement: means the earliest date the insured is considered as being disabled under the definition of disability in the health insurance policy or certificate based on a doctor's evaluation or other evidence. See Michigan Laws 500.701
- Date of incurral: means the date a claim is determined to be a liability of the insurer. See Michigan Laws 500.701
- Department: means the department of health and human services in cooperation with the veterans' service offices. See Michigan Laws 333.5701
- Department: means the department of labor and economic growth, a principal department of state government created by section 225 of the executive organization act of 1965, 1965 PA 380, MCL 16. See Michigan Laws 124.753
- Devise: To gift property by will.
- dwelling: is a ny house, building, structure, tent, shelter, trailer or vehicle, or portion thereof, (except railroad cars, on tracks or rights-of-way) which is occupied in whole or in part as the home, residence, living or sleeping place of 1 or more human beings, either permanently or transiently. See Michigan Laws 125.402
- Elimination period: means a specified number of days, weeks, or months starting at the beginning of each period of loss, during which benefits under a health insurance policy or certificate are not payable. See Michigan Laws 500.701
- Employee: means an individual who works for another person for compensation. See Michigan Laws 37.202
- Employer: means a person who employs 1 or more persons or who accepts applications for employment, including an agent of an employer. See Michigan Laws 37.202
- Employment agency: means a person regularly undertaking with or without compensation to procure, refer, recruit, or place for an employer or person the opportunity to work for an employer, and includes an agent of that person. See Michigan Laws 37.202
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Examiner: means any person who does any of the following:
(i) Purports to detect deception, verify truthfulness, or provide a diagnostic opinion of either of these through instrumentation or the use of a mechanical device. See Michigan Laws 37.202
Fee simple: Absolute title to property with no limitations or restrictions regarding the person who may inherit it. Foreclosing governmental unit: means that term as defined in section 78 of the general property tax act, 1893 PA 206, MCL 211. See Michigan Laws 124.753 Freedom of Information Act: A federal law that mandates that all the records created and kept by federal agencies in the executive branch of government must be open for public inspection and copying. The only exceptions are those records that fall into one of nine exempted categories listed in the statute. Source: OCC Fund: means the land bank fast track fund created in section 18. See Michigan Laws 124.753 Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value. Gross premium: means the amount of premium charged by the insurer. See Michigan Laws 500.701 Group insurance: means blanket insurance and franchise insurance and any other forms of group insurance. See Michigan Laws 500.701 Health insurance policy: means an expense-incurred hospital, medical, or surgical policy, certificate, or contract. See Michigan Laws 500.608 hotel: is a multiple-dwelling of class b in which persons are lodged for hire and in which there are more than 50 sleeping rooms, a public dining room for the accommodation of at least 50 guests, and a general kitchen. See Michigan Laws 125.402 in writing: shall be construed to include printing, engraving, and lithographing; except that if the written signature of a person is required by law, the signature shall be the proper handwriting of the person or, if the person is unable to write, the person's proper mark, which may be, unless otherwise expressly prohibited by law, a clear and classifiable fingerprint of the person made with ink or another substance. See Michigan Laws 8.3q Information resource center: means the agent orange information resource center created in section 5745. See Michigan Laws 333.5701 Insurer: means an individual, corporation, association, partnership, reciprocal exchange, inter-insurer, Lloyds organization, fraternal benefit society, or other legal entity, engaged or attempting to engage in the business of making insurance or surety contracts. See Michigan Laws 500.106 Interest rate: The amount paid by a borrower to a lender in exchange for the use of the lender's money for a certain period of time. Interest is paid on loans or on debt instruments, such as notes or bonds, either at regular intervals or as part of a lump sum payment when the issue matures. Source: OCC Intergovernmental agreement: means a contractual agreement between 1 or more governmental agencies, including, but not limited to, an interlocal agreement to jointly exercise any power, privilege, or authority that the agencies share in common and that each might exercise separately under the urban cooperation act of 1967, 1967 (Ex Sess) PA 7, MCL 124. See Michigan Laws 124.753 Jurisprudence: The study of law and the structure of the legal system. Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC Level premium: means a premium on a health insurance policy or certificate calculated to remain unchanged throughout either the lifetime of the policy or certificate or for some shorter projected period of years. See Michigan Laws 500.701 Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity. Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt. Local authority: means a local land bank fast track authority created by a qualified city under section 23(5). See Michigan Laws 124.753 Long-term care insurance: means any insurance policy, certificate, or rider advertised, marketed, offered, or designed to provide coverage for not less than 12 consecutive months for each covered person on an expense incurred, indemnity, prepaid, or other basis, for 1 or more necessary or medically necessary diagnostic, preventive, therapeutic, rehabilitative, maintenance, or personal care services, provided in a setting other than an acute care unit of a hospital. See Michigan Laws 500.701 Michigan economic development corporation: means the public body corporate created under section 28 of article VII of the state constitution of 1963 and the urban cooperation act of 1967, 1967 (Ex Sess) PA 7, MCL 124. See Michigan Laws 124.753 Michigan state housing development authority: means the authority created under the state housing development authority act of 1966, 1966 PA 346, MCL 125. See Michigan Laws 124.753 Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement. Modal premium: means the premium paid on a health insurance policy or certificate based on a premium term that could be annual, semiannual, quarterly, monthly, or weekly. See Michigan Laws 500.701 multiple dwelling: is a dwelling occupied otherwise than as a private dwelling or 2 family dwelling. See Michigan Laws 125.402 Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period. Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses. person: may extend and be applied to bodies politic and corporate, as well as to individuals. See Michigan Laws 8.3l Person: means an individual, firm, partnership, association, corporation, or other legal entity, this state or an agency of this state, or the federal government or an agency of the federal government. See Michigan Laws 37.202 person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See Michigan Laws 125.402 Personal property: All property that is not real property. Polygraph examination: means a psychological stress evaluator examination or any other procedure which involves the use of instrumentation or a mechanical device to enable or assist the detection of deception, the verification of truthfulness, or the rendering of a diagnostic opinion regarding either of these; including a lie detector test, psychological stress evaluator examination, or similar test. See Michigan Laws 37.202 private dwelling: is a dwelling occupied by but 1 family, and so designed and arranged as to provide cooking and kitchen accommodations for 1 family only. See Michigan Laws 125.402 Psychological stress evaluator: means any mechanical device or instrument which purports to determine the truth or falsity of statements made by an employee or applicant for employment on the basis of vocal fluctuations or vocal stress. See Michigan Laws 37.202 Psychological stress evaluator examination: means any of the following:
(i) The questioning or interviewing of an employee or applicant for employment for the purpose of subjecting the statements of the employee or applicant for employment to analysis by a psychological stress evaluator. See Michigan Laws 37.202
public hall: is a hall, corridor or passageway not within the exclusive control of 1 family. See Michigan Laws 125.402 Qualified city: means a city that contains a first class school district and includes any department or agency of the city. See Michigan Laws 124.753 Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business. Rate: means the cost of insurance per payroll before adjustment for an individual insured's size, exposure, or loss experience. See Michigan Laws 500.2402 Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land. rear yard: is a n unoccupied space on the same lot with a dwelling, between the extreme rear line of the dwelling and the rear lot line and extending from 1 side lot line to the other side lot line. See Michigan Laws 125.402 Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant. Reserve: means all items of benefit liability, whether in the nature of incurred claim liability or in the nature of contract liability relating to future periods of coverage, and whether the liability is accrued or unaccrued. See Michigan Laws 500.701 Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims. shall: is a lways mandatory and not directory, and denotes that the dwelling shall be maintained in all respects according to the mandate as long as it continues to be a dwelling. See Michigan Laws 125.402 shall not apply: means that the pertinent provision is not operative as to certain persons or things or in conjunction with a particular date or dates. See Michigan Laws 8.4c side yard: is a n unoccupied space on the same lot with a dwelling between the side lot line and the nearest side line of the dwelling and extending from the extreme rear line of the dwelling to the front lot line. See Michigan Laws 125.402 state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, shall be construed to extend to and include the District of Columbia and the several territories belonging to the United States; and the words "United States" shall be construed to include the district and territories. See Michigan Laws 8.3o State authority: means the land bank fast track authority created under section 15. See Michigan Laws 124.753 Tax reverted property: means property that meets 1 or more of the following criteria:
(i) The property was conveyed to this state under section 67a of the general property tax act, 1893 PA 206, MCL 211. See Michigan Laws 124.753
Unearned premium reserve: means that portion of the premium on a health insurance policy or certificate paid or due to the insurer that is applicable to the period of coverage extending beyond the valuation date. See Michigan Laws 500.701 Valuation net modal premium: means the modal fraction of the valuation net annual premium that corresponds to the gross modal premium in effect on any contract to which contract reserves apply. See Michigan Laws 500.701 Veteran: means that term as defined in section 1 of 1965 PA 190, MCL 35. See Michigan Laws 333.5701 Vietnam-era veteran: means a veteran who served in the armed forces of the United States between 12:01 a. See Michigan Laws 333.5701