|§ 28-6.1-1||Lie detector tests prohibited|
|§ 28-6.1-2||Penalty — Exception|
|§ 28-6.1-3||Punitive damages and attorney’s fees|
|§ 28-6.1-4||“Lie detector test” defined|
Terms Used In Rhode Island General Laws > Chapter 28-6.1 - Lie Detector Tests as Conditions of Employment
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Employee: means any person who has entered into the employment of or works under contract of service or apprenticeship with any employer, except that in the case of a city or town other than the city of Providence it shall only mean that class or those classes of employees as may be designated by a city, town, or regional school district in a manner provided in this chapter to receive compensation under chapters 29 38 of this title. See Rhode Island General Laws 28-29-2
- Employer: includes any person, partnership, corporation, or voluntary association, and the legal representative of a deceased employer; it includes the state, and the city of Providence. See Rhode Island General Laws 28-29-2
- in writing: include printing, engraving, lithographing, and photo-lithographing, and all other representations of words in letters of the usual form. See Rhode Island General Laws 43-3-16
- lie detector test: means any test utilizing a polygraph or any other device, mechanism, instrument, or written examination which is operated or the results of which are used or interpreted by an examiner for the purpose of purporting to assist in or enable the detection of deception, the verification of truthfulness, or the rendering of a diagnostic opinion regarding the honesty of an individual. See Rhode Island General Laws 28-6.1-4
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- person: extends to and includes co-partnerships and bodies corporate and politic. See Rhode Island General Laws 43-3-6