1. When a drug or chemical, or combination thereof, used by a person to induce an abortion carries a warning from its manufacturer or distributor, a peer-reviewed medical journal article, or a Food and Drug Administration label that its use may cause birth defects, disability, or other injury in a child who survives the abortion, then in addition to the requirements of section 188.043, such person shall also carry tail insurance with coverage amounts of at least one million dollars per occurrence and three million dollars in the annual aggregate for personal injury to or death of a child who survives such abortion. Such policy shall be maintained in force or be in effect for a period of twenty-one years after the person used the drug or chemical, or combination thereof, to induce the abortion.
2. For the purpose of this section, “tail insurance” means insurance which covers the legal liability of the insured once a medical malpractice insurance policy is cancelled, not renewed, or terminated, and covers claims made after such cancellation or termination for acts occurring during the period the prior medical malpractice insurance was in effect.
Terms Used In Missouri Laws 188.044
- Abortion facility: a clinic, physician's office, or any other place or facility in which abortions are performed or induced other than a hospital. See Missouri Laws 188.015
- person: may extend and be applied to bodies politic and corporate, and to partnerships and other unincorporated associations. See Missouri Laws 1.020
3. No abortion facility or hospital shall employ or engage the services of a person to induce an abortion on another using any drug or chemical, or combination thereof, which may cause birth defects, disability, or other injury in a child who survives the abortion if the person does not have tail insurance pursuant to this section, except that the abortion facility or hospital may provide tail insurance for the services of persons employed or engaged by such facility or hospital which is no less than the coverage amounts and duration set forth in this section.
4. Notwithstanding the provisions of section 334.100 to the contrary, failure of a person to maintain the tail insurance required by this section shall be an additional ground for sanctioning of a person’s license, certificate, or permit.