210.826. Determination of father and child relationship, who may bring action, when action may be brought. — 1. A child, his natural mother, a man presumed to be his father under subsection 1 of section 210.822, a man alleging himself to be a father, any person having physical or legal custody of a child for a period of more than sixty days or the family support division may bring an action at any time for the purpose of declaring the existence or nonexistence of the father and child relationship presumed under subsection 1 of section 210.822.
Terms Used In Missouri Laws 210.826
- person: may extend and be applied to bodies politic and corporate, and to partnerships and other unincorporated associations. See Missouri Laws 1.020
- State: when applied to any of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" includes such district and territories. See Missouri Laws 1.020
2. An action to determine the existence of the father and child relationship with respect to a child who has no presumed father under section 210.822 may be brought by the child, the mother or the person who has legal custody of the child, any person having physical or legal custody of a child for a period of more than sixty days, the family support division, the personal representative or a parent of the mother if the mother has died, a man alleging himself to be the father, or the personal representative or a parent of the alleged father if the alleged father has died or is a minor.
3. Regardless of its terms, an agreement, other than an agreement approved by the court in accordance with subsection 2 of section 210.838, between an alleged or presumed father and the mother or child, does not bar an action under this section.
4. If an action under this section is brought before the birth of the child, all proceedings shall be stayed until after the birth, except service of process and the taking of depositions to perpetuate testimony.
5. In an action to determine the existence of the father and child relationship under this section, a notification form, as specified in this subsection, shall be attached to the delivery of the petition through service of process. The notification form shall prominently state in boldface type as follows: “Important Notice. If you do not respond to this action, a judgment of paternity may be entered against you and you may be ordered to pay child support, medical support, or reimburse someone for support previously provided for the child. You have the right to contest that you are the father of the named child and you have the right to request genetic testing to prove whether or not you are the father.”.