210.860. Tax levy, amount, purposes — ballot — deposit of funds in special community children’s services fund. — 1. The governing body of any county or city not within a county may, after voter approval pursuant to this section, levy a tax not to exceed twenty-five cents on each one hundred dollars of assessed valuation on taxable property in the county for the purpose of providing counseling, family support, and temporary residential services to persons eighteen years of age or less and those services described in section 210.861. The question shall be submitted to the qualified voters of the county or city not within a county at a county or state general, primary or special election upon the motion of the governing body of the county or city not within a county or upon the petition of eight percent of the qualified voters of the county determined on the basis of the number of votes cast for governor in such county or city not within a county at the last gubernatorial election held prior to the filing of the petition. The election officials of the county or city not within a county shall give legal notice as provided in chapter 115. The question shall be submitted in substantially the following form:
|Shall ______ County (City) be authorized to levy a tax of ______ cents on each one hundred dollars of assessed valuation on taxable property in the county (city) for the purpose of establishing a community children’s services fund for purposes of providing funds for counseling and related services to children and youth in the county (city) eighteen years of age or less and services which will promote healthy lifestyles among children and youth and strengthen families?|
Terms Used In Missouri Laws 210.860
- following: when used by way of reference to any section of the statutes, mean the section next preceding or next following that in which the reference is made, unless some other section is expressly designated in the reference. See Missouri Laws 1.020
- Property: includes real and personal property. See Missouri Laws 1.020
- State: when applied to any of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" includes such district and territories. See Missouri Laws 1.020
- voter: is used in the laws of this state it shall mean registered voter, or legal voter. See Missouri Laws 1.035
If a majority of the votes cast on the question by the qualified voters voting thereon are in favor of the question, then the tax shall be levied and collected as otherwise provided by law. If a majority of the votes cast on the question by the qualified voters voting thereon are opposed to the question, then the tax shall not be levied unless and until the question is again submitted to the qualified voters of the county or city not within a county and a majority of such voters are in favor of such a tax, and not otherwise.
2. All revenues generated by the tax prescribed in this section shall be deposited in the county treasury or, in a city not within a county, to the board established by law to administer such fund to the credit of a special “Community Children’s Services Fund” to accomplish the purposes set out herein and shall be used for no other purpose. Such fund shall be administered by and expended only upon approval by a board of directors, established pursuant to section 210.861.