Terms Used In Missouri Laws 303.178
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Motor vehicle: a self-propelled vehicle which is designed for use upon a highway, except trailers designed for use with such vehicles, traction engines, road rollers, farm tractors, tractor cranes, power shovels, well drillers and motorized bicycles, as defined in section Missouri Laws 303.020
- Operator: a person who is in actual physical control of a motor vehicle. See Missouri Laws 303.020
- person: may extend and be applied to bodies politic and corporate, and to partnerships and other unincorporated associations. See Missouri Laws 1.020
No person shall display evidence of insurance to a law enforcement officer knowing there is no valid liability insurance in effect on the motor vehicle as required pursuant to this chapter, or knowing the evidence of insurance is illegally altered, counterfeit or otherwise invalid as evidence of insurance. If the law enforcement officer issues a citation to a motor vehicle operator for displaying invalid evidence of insurance, the officer shall confiscate the evidence for presentation in court. Any person convicted of violating this section is guilty of a class A misdemeanor.