475.110.  Removal of guardian or conservator — incapacitated or disabled person, continuation of guardianship after dissolution of marriage, when. — 1.  When a minor ward has attained the age of fourteen years, the guardian of his or her person may be removed on petition of the ward to have another person appointed guardian if it is for the best interests of the ward that such other person be appointed.  When the spouse of an incapacitated or disabled person is appointed his or her guardian or conservator, such spouse shall be removed as guardian or conservator upon dissolution of his or her marriage with the incapacitated or disabled person.  A guardian or conservator may also be removed on the same grounds as is provided in section 473.140 for the removal of personal representatives.

Terms Used In Missouri Laws 475.110

  • conservator: as used in this chapter , includes limited conservator unless otherwise specified or apparent from the context. See Missouri Laws 475.010
  • disabled person: one who is:

     (a)  Unable by reason of any physical, mental, or cognitive condition to receive and evaluate information or to communicate decisions to such an extent that the person lacks ability to manage the person's financial resources. See Missouri Laws 475.010

  • Guardian: one appointed by a court to have the care and custody of the person of a minor or of an incapacitated person. See Missouri Laws 475.010
  • Guardianship: if used in a section in a context relating to rights and obligations other than property rights or obligations, means guardian of the person as defined in Missouri Laws 1.020
  • Minor: any person who is under the age of eighteen years. See Missouri Laws 475.010
  • person: may extend and be applied to bodies politic and corporate, and to partnerships and other unincorporated associations. See Missouri Laws 1.020
  • Ward: a minor or an incapacitated person for whom a guardian, limited guardian, or standby guardian has been appointed. See Missouri Laws 475.010

 2.  Notwithstanding subsection 1 of this section, a spouse whose marriage to the ward was dissolved may petition the court to remain as or be reappointed guardian or conservator of the incapacitated or disabled person in accordance with section 475.115.