1. The city or county shall provide office space and utility services, other than telephone service, for the district public defender and his or her personnel. If there is more than one county in a district, each county shall contribute, on the basis of population, its pro rata share of the costs of office space and utility services, other than telephone service. The state shall pay, within the limits of the appropriation therefor, all other expenses and costs of the state public defender system authorized under this chapter.
2. A complete budget for the state public defender system shall be provided through an annual appropriation subject to approval by the governor and the general assembly. The budget request for the state public defender system shall be approved by the commission and submitted directly to the governor and the general assembly by the director and shall not be subject to diminution or alteration by the judicial department of state government.
Terms Used In Missouri Laws 600.040
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Commission: the public defender commission. See Missouri Laws 600.011
- Director: the state public defender director. See Missouri Laws 600.011
- person: may extend and be applied to bodies politic and corporate, and to partnerships and other unincorporated associations. See Missouri Laws 1.020
- Public defender: Represent defendants who can't afford an attorney in criminal matters.
- State: when applied to any of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" includes such district and territories. See Missouri Laws 1.020
- State public defender system: a system for providing defense services to every jurisdiction within the state by means of a centrally administered organization having a full-time staff. See Missouri Laws 600.011
3. Any person who is a public defender or employee of a public defender shall be entitled to all benefits of the Missouri state employees’ retirement system as defined in sections 104.310* to 104.550.