7-2-4704. Definitions. The following terms when used in this part have the following meanings except when the context clearly indicates a different meaning:
Terms Used In Montana Code 7-2-4704
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Person: includes a corporation or other entity as well as a natural person. See Montana Code 1-1-201
- Property: means real and personal property. See Montana Code 1-1-205
- Real property: means lands, tenements, hereditaments, and possessory title to public lands. See Montana Code 1-1-205
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Montana Code 1-1-201
(1) ”Contiguous” means any area that, at the time annexation procedures are initiated, either abuts directly on the municipal boundary or is separated from the municipal boundary by a street or street right-of-way, a creek or river, the right-of-way of a railroad or other public service corporation, lands owned by the city or some other political subdivision, or lands owned by the state.
(2) ”Municipality” means any incorporated city or town.
(3) ”Real property owner” means a person who holds an estate of life or inheritance in real property or who is the purchaser of an estate of life or inheritance in real property under a contract for deed, some memorandum of which has been filed in the office of the county clerk.