Terms Used In Montana Code > Title 27 > Chapter 12
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Bail: Security given for the release of a criminal defendant or witness from legal custody (usually in the form of money) to secure his/her appearance on the day and time appointed.
- Chiropractic physician: means :
(i) has the individual's principal residence or place of chiropractic practice in the state of Montana;
(ii) is not employed full time by any federal agency or entity; and
(iii) is not fully retired from the practice of chiropractic; or
(b) for all other purposes, a person licensed to practice chiropractic under Title 37, chapter 12, who at the time of the occurrence of the incident giving rise to a malpractice claim:
(i) had the individual's principal residence or place of chiropractic practice in the state of Montana and was not employed full time by any federal agency or entity; or
(ii) was a professional service corporation, partnership, or other business entity organized under the laws of a state to render chiropractic services and each of whose shareholders, partners, or owners were chiropractic physicians licensed to practice chiropractic under Title 37, chapter 12. See Montana Code 27-12-103
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Customary: means according to usage. See Montana Code 1-1-206
- Director: means the director of the Montana chiropractic legal panel. See Montana Code 27-12-103
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- Impeachment: (1) The process of calling something into question, as in "impeaching the testimony of a witness." (2) The constitutional process whereby the House of Representatives may "impeach" (accuse of misconduct) high officers of the federal government for trial in the Senate.
- Malpractice claim: means any claim or potential claim against a chiropractic physician for chiropractic treatment, lack of chiropractic treatment, or alleged departure from accepted standards of chiropractic health care that proximately results in damage to the claimant and includes but is not limited to a tort or contract claim or potential claim. See Montana Code 27-12-103
- Panel: means the Montana chiropractic legal panel created in 27-12-104. See Montana Code 27-12-103
- Presiding officer: A majority-party Senator who presides over the Senate and is charged with maintaining order and decorum, recognizing Members to speak, and interpreting the Senate's rules, practices and precedents.
- Probate: Proving a will
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Statute of limitations: A law that sets the time within which parties must take action to enforce their rights.
- Tort: A civil wrong or breach of a duty to another person, as outlined by law. A very common tort is negligent operation of a motor vehicle that results in property damage and personal injury in an automobile accident.
- Transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Writing: includes printing. See Montana Code 1-1-203