Terms Used In South Carolina Code > Title 40 > Chapter 9
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Appellate: About appeals; an appellate court has the power to review the judgement of another lower court or tribunal.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- bank: as used in this title must be construed to include all institutions doing any kind of banking business whose deposits are eligible for insurance by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, excluding a savings bank, and "building and loan association" as used in this title must be construed to include a mutual or stock savings association, savings and loan association, or savings bank and all other institutions doing any kind of building and loan business whose deposits are eligible for insurance by the Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corporation. See South Carolina Code 34-1-10
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- Chiropractic preceptor: means a person licensed under this chapter who is approved by the board to supervise chiropractic students in the performance of chiropractic at a location other than the premises of a chiropractic college in which the student is enrolled. See South Carolina Code 40-9-10
- Commission: means the group of individuals charged by law with the responsibility of licensing or otherwise regulating an occupation or profession within the State. See South Carolina Code 40-1-20
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Department: means the Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation;
(5) "Director" means the Director of the Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation or the director's official designee;
(6) "Licensee" means a person granted an authorization to practice pursuant to this article and refers to a person holding a license, permit, certification, or registration granted pursuant to this article;
(7) "Licensing act" means the individual statute or regulations, or both, of each regulated profession or occupation which include, but are not limited to, board governance, the qualifications and requirements for authorization to practice, prohibitions, and disciplinary procedures;
(8) "Person" means an individual, partnership, or corporation;
(9) "Profession" or "occupation" means a profession or occupation regulated or administered, or both, by the department pursuant to this article. See South Carolina Code 40-1-20
- Direct supervision: means the chiropractic preceptor must be within the immediate patient treatment area and available to the student at all times. See South Carolina Code 40-9-10
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Legal tender: coins, dollar bills, or other currency issued by a government as official money. Source: U.S. Mint
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- National Bank: A bank that is subject to the supervision of the Comptroller of the Currency. The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency is a bureau of the U.S. Treasury Department. A national bank can be recognized because it must have "national" or "national association" in its name. Source: OCC
- Oral argument: An opportunity for lawyers to summarize their position before the court and also to answer the judges' questions.
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- residency training program: means a clinical program of an approved college of chiropractic in which a chiropractic intern or resident practices chiropractic under the direct supervision of a licensed chiropractor. See South Carolina Code 40-9-10
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.