New York Laws > Racing, Pari-Mutuel Wagering and Breeding Law > Article 5-A – Off-Track Pari-Mutuel Betting
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In New York Laws > Racing, Pari-Mutuel Wagering and Breeding Law > Article 5-A - Off-Track Pari-Mutuel Betting
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- Oath: A promise to tell the truth.
- Precedent: A court decision in an earlier case with facts and law similar to a dispute currently before a court. Precedent will ordinarily govern the decision of a later similar case, unless a party can show that it was wrongly decided or that it differed in some significant way.
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.