§ 351. Person having given proof may substitute other proof. The commissioner shall cancel any bond or return any certificate of insurance, or the commissioner shall direct and the department of taxation and finance shall return any money or securities, to the person entitled thereto upon the substitution and acceptance of other adequate proof of financial responsibility pursuant to this article.