The following definitions apply in this Article:
(1) Employee. – Any person who is hired or contracted to work for the State or a local government.
(2) Prisoner. – Any person in the custody of (i) the Division of Adult Correction and Juvenile Justice of the Department of Public Safety, (ii) any law enforcement officer, or (iii) any local confinement facility as defined in G.S. 153A-217 or G.S. 153A-230.1, including persons pending trial, appellate review, or presentence diagnostic evaluation. ?(2018-67, s. 1.)
Terms Used In North Carolina General Statutes 14-254.5
- Appellate: About appeals; an appellate court has the power to review the judgement of another lower court or tribunal.
- following: when used by way of reference to any section of a statute, shall be construed to mean the section next preceding or next following that in which such reference is made; unless when some other section is expressly designated in such reference. See North Carolina General Statutes 12-3
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, shall be construed to extend to and include the District of Columbia and the several territories, so called; and the words "United States" shall be construed to include the said district and territories and all dependencies. See North Carolina General Statutes 12-3
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.