As used in this act:
(1) “Customer” means the person who signs the written repair estimate or any other person whom that person designates as a person who may authorize repair work.
(2) “Employee” means an individual who is employed full time or part time by a motor vehicle repair shop and performs motor vehicle repairs.
(3) “Motor vehicle” means any automobile, truck, bus, recreational vehicle, motorcycle, motor scooter, or other motor-powered vehicle, but does not include trailers, mobile homes, travel trailers, or trailer coaches without independent motive power, or watercraft or aircraft.
(4) “Motor vehicle repair” means all maintenance of and modification and repairs to motor vehicles and the diagnostic work incident to those repairs, including, but not limited to, the rebuilding or restoring of rebuilt vehicles, body work, painting, warranty work, shop supply fees, hazardous material disposal fees incident to a repair, and other work customarily undertaken by motor vehicle repair shops. Motor vehicle repair does not include the sale or installation of tires when authorized by the customer.
(5) “Motor vehicle repair shop” means any person who, for compensation, engages or attempts to engage in the repair of motor vehicles owned by other persons and includes, but is not limited to:
a. Mobile motor vehicle repair shops.
b. Motor vehicle and recreational vehicle dealers.
d. Service stations.
e. Self-employed individuals.
f. Truck stops.
g. Paint and body shops.
h. Brake, muffler, or transmission shops.
i. Shops doing glasswork.
Any person who engages solely in the maintenance or repair of the coach portion of a recreational vehicle is not a motor vehicle repair shop. (1999-437, s. 1; 2005-463, s. 1.)
Terms Used In North Carolina General Statutes 20-354.2
- Person: means any individual, corporation, partnership, firm, association, trust, estate, public or private institution, group, agency, political subdivision of this State, any other state or political subdivision or agency thereof, and any legal successor, representative, agent, or agency of the foregoing, other than the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission, or any successor thereto, and other than federal government agencies licensed by the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission, or any successor thereto. See North Carolina General Statutes 20-167
- Persons: means any individual, partnership, firm, corporation, company, cooperative, association, society, trust or any other business unit or entity, including any state or federal agency. See North Carolina General Statutes 20-190.1