An authorized inspector shall consult with the owner, engineer, or other person in charge of each boiler or pressure vessel as to its condition and operation, and if he or she thereby discovers or in any manner learns of any defect or imperfection in the boiler or pressure vessel or of any dereliction or carelessness on the part of the engineer or other person in charge of the boiler or pressure vessel relative to it, or to its operation, he or she shall, as soon as practicable, give notice of this to the owner of the boiler or pressure vessel. If, as a result of the inspection, the inspector determines that any boiler or pressure vessel is in any condition as to be unsafe and that the danger is imminent, he or she shall notify the jurisdictional authority who may order the operation of the boiler or pressure vessel to be stopped. Upon that notice, operation shall be stopped until the boiler or pressure vessel or its defective part or parts are repaired or renewed and put in safe condition and a certificate to that effect issued. Where there is no imminent danger, the inspector shall notify the owner to remedy the defect or defects within any reasonable time that he or she may prescribe, and if the defect or defects are not remedied within the prescribed time, the use of the boiler or pressure vessel shall be discontinued at the expiration of that time until it is put in a safe condition and a certificate to that effect is issued by the jurisdictional authority.
(P.L. 1919, ch. 1770, § 4; G.L. 1923, ch. 94, § 4; G.L. 1938, ch. 297, § 4; G.L. 1956, § 28-25-6; P.L. 1985, ch. 508, § 1; P.L. 1986, ch. 337, § 1.)
Terms Used In Rhode Island General Laws 28-25-8
- Authorized inspector: means an inspector of boilers and/or pressure vessels employed by the state of Rhode Island or an insurance company authorized to write boiler or pressure vessel insurance or of an authorized owner/user organization. See Rhode Island General Laws 28-25-1.
- Boiler: means a closed vessel in which water or other liquid is heated, steam or vapor generated, steam is superheated, or in which any combination of these functions is accomplished, under pressure or vacuum, for use externally to itself, by the direct application of energy from the combustion of fuels or from electricity or nuclear energy. See Rhode Island General Laws 28-25-1.
- Imminent danger: means a condition or practice which could reasonably be expected to cause death or serious physical harm immediately or before the danger can be eliminated through normal enforcement procedures. See Rhode Island General Laws 28-25-1.
- Owner: means any person owning, operating, or in charge or control of any boiler or pressure vessel as defined in this section including the chief administrative officer in the private or public sector. See Rhode Island General Laws 28-25-1.
- person: extends to and includes co-partnerships and bodies corporate and politic. See Rhode Island General Laws 43-3-6.
- Pressure vessel: means a vessel in which the pressure is obtained from an external source or by the application of heat other than those vessels defined in subdivision (7) of this section. See Rhode Island General Laws 28-25-1.