|§ 40-83-10||Citation of act|
|§ 40-83-30||Immigration services permitted; persons exempt from chapter; required disclosures; penalties; promulgation of regulations|
Terms Used In South Carolina Code > Title 40 > Chapter 83
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Commission: means the group of individuals charged by law with the responsibility of licensing or otherwise regulating an occupation or profession within the State. See South Carolina Code 40-1-20
- Compensation: means money, property, services, promise of payment, or anything else of value given in exchange for a service. See South Carolina Code 40-83-20
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Department: means the Department of Insurance of South Carolina. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Department: means the Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation;
(5) "Director" means the Director of the Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation or the director's official designee;
(6) "Licensee" means a person granted an authorization to practice pursuant to this article and refers to a person holding a license, permit, certification, or registration granted pursuant to this article;
(7) "Licensing act" means the individual statute or regulations, or both, of each regulated profession or occupation which include, but are not limited to, board governance, the qualifications and requirements for authorization to practice, prohibitions, and disciplinary procedures;
(8) "Person" means an individual, partnership, or corporation;
(9) "Profession" or "occupation" means a profession or occupation regulated or administered, or both, by the department pursuant to this article. See South Carolina Code 40-1-20
- Director: means the person who is appointed by the Governor upon the advice and consent of the Senate and who is responsible for the operation and management of the department. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Director: means the Director of the South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation, or his designee. See South Carolina Code 40-83-20
- Employed by: means that a person is on the payroll of the employer and the employer deducts from the employee's paycheck social security and withholding taxes or that a person receives compensation from the employer on a commission basis or as an independent contractor. See South Carolina Code 40-83-20
- Entitlement: A Federal program or provision of law that requires payments to any person or unit of government that meets the eligibility criteria established by law. Entitlements constitute a binding obligation on the part of the Federal Government, and eligible recipients have legal recourse if the obligation is not fulfilled. Social Security and veterans' compensation and pensions are examples of entitlement programs.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Immigration assistance service: means information or action provided or offered to customers or prospective customers related to immigration matters, excluding legal advice, recommending a specific course of legal action or providing other assistance that requires legal analysis, legal judgment, or interpretation of the law. See South Carolina Code 40-83-20
- Immigration matter: means a proceeding, filing, or action affecting the nonimmigrant, immigrant, or citizenship status of any person that arises under:
(1) immigration and naturalization law, executive order, or presidential proclamation of the United States or any foreign country; or
(2) action of the United States Department of Labor, the United States Department of State, the United States Department of Homeland Security, or the United States Department of Justice. See South Carolina Code 40-83-20
- insurance: includes annuities. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Insurer: includes a corporation, fraternal organization, burial association, other association, partnership, society, order, individual, or aggregation of individuals engaging or proposing or attempting to engage as principals in any kind of insurance or surety business, including the exchanging of reciprocal or interinsurance contracts between individuals, partnerships, and corporations. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Person: means a corporation, agency, partnership, association, voluntary organization, individual, or another entity, organization, or aggregation of individuals. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court.
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.