A cause of action for injunctive relief may be maintained against any person who is reasonably believed to be about to violate or who is in the course of violating § 22-16-37 by any person who is:
(1) The spouse, parent, child, sibling, legally appointed guardian, or conservator of the person who would commit suicide;
Terms Used In South Dakota Codified Laws 34-12D-24
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Intestate: Dying without leaving a will.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Person: includes natural persons, partnerships, associations, cooperative corporations, limited liability companies, and corporations. See South Dakota Codified Laws 2-14-2
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
(2) Entitled to inherit under the laws of intestate succession from the person who would commit suicide or the beneficiary under a life insurance policy of the person who would commit suicide;
(3) Any health care provider of the person who would commit suicide;
(4) Any public official with appropriate jurisdiction to prosecute or enforce the laws of this state.
Source: SDCL § 22-16-37.2; SL 2005, ch 120, §§ 169, 170.