Terms Used In South Dakota Codified Laws 34-20B-63
- Agent: an authorized person who acts on behalf of or at the direction of a manufacturer, distributor, or dispenser and includes a common or contract carrier, public warehouseman, or employee thereof. See South Dakota Codified Laws 34-20B-1
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Person: any corporation, association, limited liability company, partnership or one or more individuals. See South Dakota Codified Laws 34-20B-1
- Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law.
- Property: includes property, real and personal. See South Dakota Codified Laws 2-14-2
- State: the State of South Dakota. See South Dakota Codified Laws 34-20B-1
Any officer or employee of the Division of Criminal Investigation designated by the attorney general may:
(1) Carry firearms;
(2) Execute and serve search warrants, arrest warrants, administrative inspection warrants, subpoenas, and summonses issued under the authority of this state;
(3) Make arrests without warrant for any offense under this chapter committed in his presence, or if he has probable cause to believe that the person to be arrested has committed or is committing a felony;
(4) Make seizures of property pursuant to the provisions of this chapter; and
(5) Perform such other law enforcement duties as the chief agent may designate.