Terms Used In South Dakota Codified Laws > Title 34 > Chapter 20B
- Administer: to deliver a controlled drug or substance to the ultimate user or human research subject by injection, inhalation, or ingestion, or by any other means. See South Dakota Codified Laws 34-20B-1
- Agent: an authorized person who acts on behalf of or at the direction of a manufacturer, distributor, or dispenser and includes a common or contract carrier, public warehouseman, or employee thereof. See South Dakota Codified Laws 34-20B-1
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Control: to add, remove, or change the placement of a drug, substance, or immediate precursor under §§ . See South Dakota Codified Laws 34-20B-1
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Department: the Department of Health created by chapter 1-43. See South Dakota Codified Laws 34-20B-1
- Dispense: to deliver a controlled drug or substance to the ultimate user or human research subject by or pursuant to the lawful order of a practitioner, including the prescribing, administering, packaging, labeling, or compounding necessary to prepare the substance for such delivery, and a dispenser is one who dispenses. See South Dakota Codified Laws 34-20B-1
- Distribute: to deliver a controlled drug, substance, or marijuana. See South Dakota Codified Laws 34-20B-1
- drug: means :
. See South Dakota Codified Laws 34-20B-2
Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other. Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison. Hashish: the resin extracted from any part of any plant of the genus cannabis, commonly known as the marijuana plant. See South Dakota Codified Laws 34-20B-1 immediate precursor: means a substance which the department has found to be and by regulation designates as being a principal compound commonly used or produced primarily for use, and which is an immediate chemical intermediary used or likely to be used, in the manufacture of a controlled drug or substance, the control of which is necessary to prevent, curtail, or limit such manufacture. See South Dakota Codified Laws 34-20B-4 Indictment: The formal charge issued by a grand jury stating that there is enough evidence that the defendant committed the crime to justify having a trial; it is used primarily for felonies. Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury. Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases. Manufacture: the production, preparation, propagation, compounding, or processing of a controlled drug or substance, either directly or indirectly by extraction from substances of natural origin, or independently by means of chemical synthesis or by a combination of extraction and chemical synthesis. See South Dakota Codified Laws 34-20B-1 Marijuana: all parts of any plant of the genus cannabis, whether growing or not. See South Dakota Codified Laws 34-20B-1 Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement. Opiate: any controlled drug or substance having an addiction-sustaining liability similar to morphine or being capable of conversion into a drug having such addiction-forming or addiction-sustaining liability. See South Dakota Codified Laws 34-20B-1 Opium poppy: the plant of the species papaver somniferum L. See South Dakota Codified Laws 34-20B-1 Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses. Person: includes natural persons, partnerships, associations, cooperative corporations, limited liability companies, and corporations. See South Dakota Codified Laws 2-14-2 Person: any corporation, association, limited liability company, partnership or one or more individuals. See South Dakota Codified Laws 34-20B-1 Poppy straw: all parts, except the seeds, of the opium poppy, after mowing. See South Dakota Codified Laws 34-20B-1 Practitioner: a doctor of medicine, osteopathy, podiatry, optometry, dentistry, or veterinary medicine licensed to practice their profession, or pharmacists licensed to practice their profession. See South Dakota Codified Laws 34-20B-1 Prescribe: an order of a practitioner for a controlled drug or substance. See South Dakota Codified Laws 34-20B-1 Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law. Property: includes property, real and personal. See South Dakota Codified Laws 2-14-2 Several: in relation to number, two or more. See South Dakota Codified Laws 2-14-2 State: the State of South Dakota. See South Dakota Codified Laws 2-14-2 State: the State of South Dakota. See South Dakota Codified Laws 34-20B-1 Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.