Terms Used In South Dakota Codified Laws 34-44-3
- Asbestos contractor: any person that undertakes an asbestos project, including inspections for asbestos-containing materials, prepares an asbestos management plan, or designs or carries out an asbestos abatement project. See South Dakota Codified Laws 34-44-1
- Board: the Board of Minerals and Environment. See South Dakota Codified Laws 34-44-1
- Worker: an employee or agent of an asbestos contractor or facility owner or operator who has minimal awareness training. See South Dakota Codified Laws 34-44-1
The board shall promulgate rules pursuant to chapter 1-26 to establish an asbestos abatement training program that assures the proper and safe abatement of asbestos hazards through asbestos contractor certification and worker certification. The rules shall specifically include, but not be limited to:
(1) Criteria for asbestos contractor certification and training;
(2) Criteria for worker certification and training.
No rule adopted pursuant to this chapter may be more stringent than those promulgated by the environmental protection agency under authority of federal laws governing the control of asbestos. However, the Board of Minerals and Environment shall promulgate rules to require that workers, asbestos contractors, supervisors, designers, management planners, and inspectors dealing with demolition or renovation projects under the National Emissions Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants be certified.