Terms in this chapter mean:
(1) “Board,” the Board of Massage Therapy;
Terms Used In South Dakota Codified Laws 36-35-1
- Person: includes natural persons, partnerships, associations, cooperative corporations, limited liability companies, and corporations. See South Dakota Codified Laws 2-14-2
(2) “Licensee,” a person who meets the qualifications for licensure pursuant to this chapter and holds a valid license to practice massage therapy;
(3) “Massage,” the systematic mobilization of the soft tissues of the body through the application of hands, feet, or devices for the purposes of therapy, relaxation, or education through means which include:
(a) Pressure, friction, stroking, rocking, kneading, percussion, compression, or stretching;
(b) External application of water, heat, cold, lubricants, or other topical agents; or
(c) The use of devices that mimic or enhance the actions of human hands or feet; and
(4) “Practice of massage therapy,” the performance of massage for a fee or other compensation or holding oneself out to the public as performing massage.
Source: SL 2005, ch 206, § 1; SL 2016, ch 197, § 1.