Terms Used In Tennessee Code > Title 32 > Chapter 4 - Contest
- Accumulated contributions: means the sum of all the amounts deducted from the compensation of a member, together with any amount transferred to the account of the member established pursuant to chapters 34-37 of this title from the respective account of the member under one (1) or more of the superseded systems, with interest thereon, as provided in §. See Tennessee Code 8-34-101
- Agriculture: means :
(i) The land, buildings and machinery used in the commercial production of farm products and nursery stock. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Antifreeze: means any substance or preparation sold, distributed or intended for use as the cooling liquid or to be added to the cooling liquid in the cooling system of internal combustion engines of motor vehicles to prevent freezing of the cooling liquid or to lower its freezing point. See Tennessee Code 68-131-102
- Art supplies: includes :
(A) Any raw or processed material or manufactured product marketed or being represented by the manufacturer, repackager or retailer as being suitable for use in any phase of the creation of any work of visual or graphic art of any medium. See Tennessee Code 68-131-303
- Beneficiary: means any person, persons or institution receiving a retirement allowance or other benefit as provided in chapters 34-37 of this title. See Tennessee Code 8-34-101
- Bittering agent: means denatonium benzoate. See Tennessee Code 68-131-102
- board: means the board provided for in part 3 of this chapter. See Tennessee Code 8-34-101
- Commerce: means any and all commerce within the state of Tennessee and subject to the jurisdiction of the state of Tennessee, and includes the operation of any business or service establishment. See Tennessee Code 68-131-303
- Commissioner: means the commissioner of agriculture or the commissioner's legally authorized representative or agent. See Tennessee Code 68-131-102
- Commissioner: means the commissioner of agriculture or the commissioner's legally authorized representative or agent. See Tennessee Code 68-131-303
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Department: means the Tennessee department of agriculture. See Tennessee Code 68-131-102
- Department: means the department of agriculture. See Tennessee Code 68-131-303
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- Earnable compensation: includes , but is not limited to, any bonus or incentive payment. See Tennessee Code 8-34-101
- Employer: means :
(A) The state or any department, commission, institution, board or agency of the state government by which a member is paid, with respect to members in its employ. See Tennessee Code 8-34-101
- Executor: includes an administrator, where the subject matter applies to an administrator. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Hazardous materials: includes :
(A) Materials designated as hazardous by any governmental agency. See Tennessee Code 68-131-201
- Hazardous substance: means :
(i) Any substance or mixture of substances that:
(a) Is toxic. See Tennessee Code 68-131-102
- Human carcinogen: means any substance listed as a human carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer. See Tennessee Code 68-131-303
- Intestate: Dying without leaving a will.
- Label: means a display of written, printed, or graphic matter upon the immediate container of any substance, or in the case of an article that is unpackaged or is not packaged in an immediate container intended or suitable for delivery to the ultimate consumer, a display of such matter directly upon the article involved or upon a tag or other suitable material affixed to the article, and a requirement made by or under authority of this part that any word, statement or other information appearing on the label shall not be considered to be complied with, unless such word, statement or other information also appears:
(A) On the outside container or wrapper, if any there be, unless it is easily legible through the outside container or wrapper. See Tennessee Code 68-131-303
- Legatee: A beneficiary of a decedent
- Member: means any person included in the membership of the retirement system, as provided in chapter 35, part 1 of this title. See Tennessee Code 8-34-101
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: includes an individual, partnership, corporation, or association, or the person's legal representative or agent. See Tennessee Code 68-131-102
- Person: includes any individual, partnership, corporation, association or other entity. See Tennessee Code 68-131-201
- Pleadings: Written statements of the parties in a civil case of their positions. In the federal courts, the principal pleadings are the complaint and the answer.
- Probate: Proving a will
- Property: includes both personal and real property. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Record: means information that is inscribed on a tangible medium or that is stored in an electronic or other medium and is retrievable in a perceivable form. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Representative: when applied to those who represent a decedent, includes executors and administrators, unless the context implies heirs and distributees. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Retirement: means withdrawal from membership with a retirement allowance granted under chapters 34-37 of this title. See Tennessee Code 8-34-101
- Retirement allowance: means the sum of the member annuity and the state annuity. See Tennessee Code 8-34-101
- Retirement system: means the Tennessee consolidated retirement system as defined in §§. See Tennessee Code 8-34-101
- Service: means service as a general employee, a teacher, a state police officer, a wildlife officer, a firefighter, a police officer, a state judge, a county judge, an attorney general, a commissioner or a county official which is paid for by an employer, and also includes service for which a former member of the general assembly is entitled to under former §§ 3-401 and 3-406. See Tennessee Code 8-34-101
- State: means the state of Tennessee. See Tennessee Code 8-34-101
- Testator: A male person who leaves a will at death.
- Toxic: includes any substance that, when ingested, inhaled or absorbed through the skin, has the capacity to produce personal injury or illness. See Tennessee Code 68-131-303
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Verdict: The decision of a petit jury or a judge.
- written: includes printing, typewriting, engraving, lithography, and any other mode of representing words and letters. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105