Terms Used In Tennessee Code > Title 49 > Chapter 11
- Advisory board: means the state advisory board for the rehabilitation centers. See Tennessee Code 49-11-702
- Agriculture: means :
(i) The land, buildings and machinery used in the commercial production of farm products and nursery stock. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Appraisal: A determination of property value.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- center: means a rehabilitation center authorized under this part. See Tennessee Code 49-11-702
- Code: includes the Tennessee Code and all amendments and revisions to the code and all additions and supplements to the code. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Commissioner: means the commissioner of human services. See Tennessee Code 49-11-602
- Commissioner: means the commissioner of human services. See Tennessee Code 49-11-702
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Decedent: A deceased person.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Department: means the department of human services. See Tennessee Code 49-11-602
- Department: means the department of human services. See Tennessee Code 49-11-702
- Director: means director of the vocational rehabilitation program. See Tennessee Code 49-11-602
- Director: means director of the vocational rehabilitation program. See Tennessee Code 49-11-702
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Division: means the division of rehabilitation services. See Tennessee Code 49-11-602
- Division: means the division of rehabilitation services. See Tennessee Code 49-11-702
- Donor: The person who makes a gift.
- Ex officio: Literally, by virtue of one's office.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Foreign country: means a government other than:
(A) The United States. See Tennessee Code 26-6-202
- Foreign-country judgment: means a judgment of a court of a foreign country. See Tennessee Code 26-6-202
- Grand jury: agreement providing that a lender will delay exercising its rights (in the case of a mortgage,
- Grant: means a qualified work-based learning grant issued pursuant to this part. See Tennessee Code 49-11-901
- Grant fund: means the qualified work-based learning grant fund established by §. See Tennessee Code 49-11-901
- Individual with a disability: means an individual of employable age who has a disability that constitutes a substantial barrier to employment, but that is of such a nature that appropriate vocational rehabilitation services may reasonably be expected to:
(A) Render the individual able to engage in a remunerative occupation. See Tennessee Code 49-11-602
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Livestock: means all equine as well as animals that are being raised primarily for use as food or fiber for human utilization or consumption including, but not limited to, cattle, sheep, swine, goats, and poultry. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- local board of education: means the board of education that manages and controls the respective local public school system. See Tennessee Code 49-1-103
- local school district: means any county school system, city school system, special school district, unified school system, metropolitan school system or any other local public school system or school district created or authorized by the general assembly. See Tennessee Code 49-1-103
- Maintenance: means the provision of money to cover a handicapped individual's necessary living expenses and health maintenance essential to achieving the handicapped individual's vocational rehabilitation. See Tennessee Code 49-11-602
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Nonprofit: when used with respect to a rehabilitation facility or a workshop, means a rehabilitation facility and a workshop, respectively, owned and operated by a corporation or association, no part of the net earnings of which inures, or may lawfully inure, to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual and the income of which is exempt from taxation under § 501 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 (26 U. See Tennessee Code 49-11-602
- Person: includes a corporation, firm, company or association. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Personal property: includes money, goods, chattels, things in action, and evidences of debt. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Personal representative: when applied to those who represent a decedent, includes executors and administrators, unless the context implies heirs and distributees. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Physical restoration: includes :
(A) Corrective surgery or therapeutic treatment necessary to correct or substantially modify a physical or mental condition that is stable or slowly progressive and:
(i) Constitutes a substantial barrier to employment. See Tennessee Code 49-11-602
- Program operator: means a nonprofit entity that has entered into an agreement with THEC to administer the program established by this part. See Tennessee Code 49-11-901
- Property: includes both personal and real property. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- Qualified work-based learning student: means a student who is sixteen (16) years of age or older, enrolled in a Tennessee public high school, and participating in a work-based learning course for academic credit or credit toward completion of a career and technical education program. See Tennessee Code 49-11-901
- Rehabilitation facility: means a facility operated for the primary purpose of assisting in the rehabilitation of physically handicapped individuals:
(A) That provides one (1) or more of the following types of services:
(i) Testing, fitting or training in the use of prosthetic devices. See Tennessee Code 49-11-602
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Remunerative occupation: includes employment as an employee or self-employed, practice of a profession, homemaking or farm and family work for which payment is in kind rather than cash, sheltered employment and home industry or other homebound work of a remunerative nature. See Tennessee Code 49-11-602
- Reporter: Makes a record of court proceedings and prepares a transcript, and also publishes the court's opinions or decisions (in the courts of appeals).
- Representative: when applied to those who represent a decedent, includes executors and administrators, unless the context implies heirs and distributees. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- signed: includes a mark, the name being written near the mark and witnessed, or any other symbol or methodology executed or adopted by a party with intention to authenticate a writing or record, regardless of being witnessed. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- THEC: means the Tennessee higher education commission. See Tennessee Code 49-11-901
- Tort: A civil wrong or breach of a duty to another person, as outlined by law. A very common tort is negligent operation of a motor vehicle that results in property damage and personal injury in an automobile accident.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Vocational rehabilitation: means making an individual able, or increasing the individual's ability, to:
(A) Engage in a remunerative occupation. See Tennessee Code 49-11-602
- Vocational rehabilitation services: means :
(A) Diagnostic and related services, including transportation, incidental to the determination of whether an individual is a handicapped individual, and if so, the individual's eligibility for, and the nature and scope of, other vocational rehabilitation services to be provided. See Tennessee Code 49-11-602
- Work-based learning: means the application of academic and technical knowledge in a work setting that involves actual work experience. See Tennessee Code 49-11-901
- Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105