Utah Code > Title 58 > Chapter 3a – Architects Licensing Act
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In Utah Code > Title 58 > Chapter 3a - Architects Licensing Act
- Adjudicative proceeding: means :Utah Code 68-3-12.5
- Agency: means :
(a) a person other than an individual, including a sole proprietorship by which an individual does business under an assumed name; and (b) an insurance organization licensed or required to be licensed under Section 31A-23a-301, 31A-25-207, or 31A-26-209. See Utah Code 31A-1-301
- Application: means a document:
(b) used by the insurer to gather information from the applicant before issuance of an annuity contract. See Utah Code 31A-1-301
- Architect: means a person licensed under this chapter as an architect. See Utah Code 58-3a-102
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Assurance organization: means a person designated as an assurance organization in accordance with Section 31A-40-303. See Utah Code 31A-40-102
- Board: means the Architects Licensing Board created in Section 58-3a-201. See Utah Code 58-3a-102
- Building: means a structure which has human occupancy or habitation as its principal purpose, and includes the structural, mechanical, and electrical systems, utility services, and other facilities required for the building, and is otherwise governed by the State Construction Code or an approved code under Title 15A, State Construction and Fire Codes Act. See Utah Code 58-3a-102
- Business entity: means :
(a) a corporation; (b) an association; (c) a partnership; (d) a limited liability company; (e) a limited liability partnership; or (f) another legal entity. See Utah Code 31A-1-301
- Client: means a person who enters into a professional employer agreement with a professional employer organization. See Utah Code 31A-40-102
- Coemployer: means :
(a) a client; or (b) a professional employer organization. See Utah Code 31A-40-102
- Coemployment relationship: means a relationship:
(a) that is intended to be ongoing rather than a temporary or project specific relationship; and (b) wherein the rights and obligations of an employer that arise out of an employment relationship are allocated between coemployers pursuant to: (i) a professional employer agreement; or (ii) this chapter. See Utah Code 31A-40-102
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- controlling person: means a person who, individually or acting in concert with one or more persons, owns, directly or indirectly, 10% or more of the equity interest in a professional employer organization. See Utah Code 31A-40-102
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Covered employee: means an individual who has a coemployment relationship with a client and a professional employer organization if the conditions of Section 31A-40-203 are met. See Utah Code 31A-40-102
- Employee: means :
(a) an individual employed by an employer; or (b) an individual who meets the requirements of Subsection (53)(b). See Utah Code 31A-1-301
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Filed: means that a filing is:
(i) submitted to the department as required by and in accordance with applicable statute, rule, or filing order; (ii) received by the department within the time period provided in applicable statute, rule, or filing order; and (iii) accompanied by the appropriate fee in accordance with: (A) Section 31A-3-103; or (B) rule. See Utah Code 31A-1-301
- Filing: when used as a noun, means an item required to be filed with the department including:
(a) a policy; (b) a rate; (c) a form; (d) a document; (e) a plan; (f) a manual; (g) an application; (h) a report; (i) a certificate; (j) an endorsement; (k) an actuarial certification; (l) a licensee annual statement; (m) a licensee renewal application; (n) an advertisement; (o) a binder; or (p) an outline of coverage. See Utah Code 31A-1-301
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Form: means one of the following prepared for general use:
(i) a policy; (ii) a certificate; (iii) an application; (iv) an outline of coverage; or (v) an endorsement. See Utah Code 31A-1-301
- Fund: means the Architects Education and Enforcement Fund created in Section 58-3a-103. See Utah Code 58-3a-102
- Guarantee: means to assume an obligation of another person if that person fails to meet the obligation. See Utah Code 31A-40-102
- health insurance: means insurance providing:
(i) a health care benefit; or (ii) payment of an incurred health care expense. See Utah Code 31A-1-301
- Individual: means a natural person. See Utah Code 31A-1-301
- Insurance: includes :
(i) a risk distributing arrangement providing for compensation or replacement for damages or loss through the provision of a service or a benefit in kind; (ii) a contract of guaranty or suretyship entered into by the guarantor or surety as a business and not as merely incidental to a business transaction; and (iii) a plan in which the risk does not rest upon the person who makes an arrangement, but with a class of persons who have agreed to share the risk. See Utah Code 31A-1-301
- Insured: means a person to whom or for whose benefit an insurer makes a promise in an insurance policy and includes:
(i) a policyholder; (ii) a subscriber; (iii) a member; and (iv) a beneficiary. See Utah Code 31A-1-301
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Land: includes :Utah Code 68-3-12.5
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- License: includes a certificate of authority issued to an insurer. See Utah Code 31A-1-301
- Member: means a person having membership rights in an insurance corporation. See Utah Code 31A-1-301
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: includes :
(a) an individual; (b) a partnership; (c) a corporation; (d) an incorporated or unincorporated association; (e) a joint stock company; (f) a trust; (g) a limited liability company; (h) a reciprocal; (i) a syndicate; or (j) another similar entity or combination of entities acting in concert. See Utah Code 31A-1-301
- Person: means :Utah Code 68-3-12.5
- Policy: includes a service contract issued by:
(i) a motor club under Chapter 11, Motor Clubs; (ii) a service contract provided under Chapter 6a, Service Contracts; and (iii) a corporation licensed under: (A) Chapter 7, Nonprofit Health Service Insurance Corporations; or (B) Chapter 8, Health Maintenance Organizations and Limited Health Plans. See Utah Code 31A-1-301
- Practice of architecture: means rendering or offering to render the following services in connection with the design, construction, enlargement, or alteration of a building or group of buildings, and the space within and surrounding such buildings:
(i) planning; (ii) facility programming; (iii) preliminary studies; (iv) preparation of designs, drawings, and specifications; (v) preparation of technical submissions and coordination of any element of technical submissions prepared by others including, as appropriate and without limitation, professional engineers, and landscape architects; and (vi) administration of construction contracts. See Utah Code 58-3a-102
- Presiding officer: A majority-party Senator who presides over the Senate and is charged with maintaining order and decorum, recognizing Members to speak, and interpreting the Senate's rules, practices and precedents.
- Principal: means a licensed architect having responsible charge of an organization's architectural practice. See Utah Code 58-3a-102
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Process: means a writ or summons issued in the course of a judicial proceeding. See Utah Code 68-3-12.5
- Professional employer agreement: means a written contract by and between a client and a professional employer organization that provides for:
(a) the coemployment of a covered employee; (b) with respect to a covered employee, the allocation of a right or obligation of an employer between: (i) the client; and (ii) the professional employer organization; and (c) the assumption of the obligations imposed by this chapter by: (i) the client; or (ii) the professional employer organization. See Utah Code 31A-40-102
- professional employer organization: means a person engaged in the business of providing a professional employer service. See Utah Code 31A-40-102
- Professional employer organization group: means two or more professional employer organizations that are majority owned or commonly controlled or directed by the same one or more persons. See Utah Code 31A-40-102
- Professional employer service: means the service of entering into a coemployment relationship under this chapter under which all or a majority of the employees who provide a service to a client, or a division or work unit of a client, are covered employees. See Utah Code 31A-40-102
- Self-insurance: includes :
(i) an arrangement under which a governmental entity undertakes to indemnify an employee for liability arising out of the employee's employment; and (ii) an arrangement under which a person with a managed program of self-insurance and risk management undertakes to indemnify the person's affiliate, subsidiary, director, officer, or employee for liability or risk that arises out of the person's relationship with the affiliate, subsidiary, director, officer, or employee. See Utah Code 31A-1-301
- Sell: means to exchange a contract of insurance:
(a) by any means; (b) for money or its equivalent; and (c) on behalf of an insurance company. See Utah Code 31A-1-301
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- Signature: includes a name, mark, or sign written with the intent to authenticate an instrument or writing. See Utah Code 68-3-12.5
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes a state, district, or territory of the United States. See Utah Code 68-3-12.5
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.
- Working capital: means the current assets minus the current liabilities of a professional employer organization determined in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. See Utah Code 31A-40-102
- Writing: includes :Utah Code 68-3-12.5
- Application: means a document: