Terms Used In Vermont Statutes Title 5 Sec. 1
- Agency: means the Agency of Transportation. See
- Board: means the Transportation Board. See
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- following: when used by way of reference to a section of the law shall mean the next preceding or following section. See
- Municipality: means a county, city, village, town, or any other political subdivision of this State, and any public corporation, authority, or district of this State which is or may be authorized by law to acquire, establish, construct, maintain, improve, or operate transportation facilities or services. See
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Political subdivision: means any county, city, town, or other municipality. See
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States may apply to the District of Columbia and any territory and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. See
- Town: shall include city and wards or precincts therein; "selectboard members" and "board of civil authority" shall extend to and include the mayor and aldermen of cities; "trustees" shall extend to and include bailiffs of incorporated villages; and the laws applicable to the inhabitants and officers of towns shall be applicable to the inhabitants and similar officers of all municipal corporations. See
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- Village: shall mean an incorporated village. See
§ 1. Definitions
As used in this title, unless the context requires otherwise, the following definitions shall apply:
(1) "Agency" means the Agency of Transportation.
(2) "Board" means the Transportation Board.
(3) "Municipality" means a county, city, village, town, or any other political subdivision of this State, and any public corporation, authority, or district of this State which is or may be authorized by law to acquire, establish, construct, maintain, improve, or operate transportation facilities or services.
(4) "Person" means an individual, firm, partnership, corporation, company, association, joint stock association, or body politic, including a trustee, receiver, assignee, or other similar representative.
(5) "Political subdivision" means any county, city, town, or other municipality.
(6) "Secretary" means the Secretary of Transportation.
(7) "Agency of Transportation" or "Agency" means the State, the Agency of Transportation, its Secretary, or its officials. (Added 1985, No. 222 (Adj. Sess.), § 1.)