All contracting agencies shall include in every government contract of over $10,000 the following provisions:
Terms Used In Virginia Code 2.2-4201
- Agency: means any agency or instrumentality, corporate or otherwise, of the government of the Commonwealth. See Virginia Code 2.2-4200
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Contractor: means any individual, partnership, corporation or association that performs services for or supplies goods, materials, or equipment to the Commonwealth or any agency thereof. See Virginia Code 2.2-4200
- State: when applied to a part of the United States, includes any of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and the United States Virgin Islands. See Virginia Code 1-245
During the performance of this contract, the contractor agrees as follows:
1. The contractor will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, religion, color, sex, or national origin, except where religion, sex, or national origin is a bona fide occupational qualification reasonably necessary to the normal operation of the contractor. The contractor agrees to post in conspicuous places, available to employees and applicants for employment, notices setting forth the provisions of this nondiscrimination clause, including the names of all contracting agencies with which the contractor has contracts of over $10,000.
2. The contractor will, in all solicitations or advertisements for employees placed by or on behalf of the contractor, state that such contractor is an equal opportunity employer. However, notices, advertisements and solicitations placed in accordance with federal law, rule or regulation shall be deemed sufficient for the purpose of meeting the requirements of this chapter.
The contractor shall include the provisions of the subdivisions 1 and 2 in every subcontract or purchase order of over $10,000, so that such provisions shall be binding upon each subcontractor or vendor.
Nothing contained in this chapter shall be deemed to empower any agency to require any contractor to grant preferential treatment to, or discriminate against, any individual or any group because of race, color, religion, sex or national origin on account of an imbalance that may exist with respect to the total number or percentage of persons of any race, color, religion, sex or national origin employed by such contractor in comparison with the total number or percentage of persons of such race, color, religion, sex or national origin in any community or in the Commonwealth.
1975, c. 626, § 2.1-376; 2001, c. 844.