Initial appointments of nonlegislative citizen members to the Wine Board shall be staggered as follows: six nonlegislative citizen members shall be owners or operators of wineries or farm wineries in Virginia, two of whom shall serve for terms of three years, two shall serve for terms of two years, and two shall serve a term of one year; and three nonlegislative citizen members shall be grape growers with no controlling financial interest in a winery or farm winery, one of whom shall serve a term of three years, one shall serve a term of two years, and one shall serve a term of one year. Thereafter, nonlegislative citizen members shall be appointed for a term of four years. The Commissioner shall serve a term coincident with his term of office. Appointments to fill vacancies, other than by expiration of a term, shall be for the unexpired terms. All members may be reappointed. No nonlegislative citizen member shall serve more than two consecutive four-year terms. The remainder of any term to which a member is appointed to fill a vacancy shall not constitute a term in determining the member’s eligibility for reappointment. Vacancies shall be filled in the same manner as the original appointments.
Terms Used In Virginia Code 3.2-3002
- Board: means the Board of Agriculture and Consumer Services. See Virginia Code 3.2-100
- Commissioner: means the Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services. See Virginia Code 3.2-100
- farm: means any person that obtains at least 51 percent of its annual gross income from agricultural operations and produces the agricultural waste used as feedstock for the waste-to-energy technology, (ii) "agricultural waste" means biomass waste materials capable of decomposition that are produced from the raising of plants and animals during agricultural operations, including animal manures, bedding, plant stalks, hulls, and vegetable matter, and (iii) "waste-to-energy technology" means any technology, including but not limited to a methane digester, that converts agricultural waste into gas, steam, or heat that is used to generate electricity on-site. See Virginia Code 1-222.1
- Nonlegislative citizen member: means any natural person who is not a member of the General Assembly of Virginia. See Virginia Code 1-225
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Wine: means an alcoholic beverage as defined in § 4. See Virginia Code 3.2-3000
- winery: means an "establishment" as defined in § 4. See Virginia Code 3.2-3000