|§ 19.2-392.1||Statement of policy|
|§ 19.2-392.2||Expungement of police and court records|
|§ 19.2-392.3||Disclosure of expunged records|
|§ 19.2-392.4||Prohibited practices by employers, educational institutions, agencies, etc., of state and local governments|
Terms Used In Virginia Code > Title 19.2 > Chapter 23.1
- Judgement that a criminal defendant has not been proved guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
- A verdict of "not guilty."
- Adult: means a person 18 years of age or more. See Virginia Code 1-203
- Allegation: something that someone says happened.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Appellate: About appeals; an appellate court has the power to review the judgement of another lower court or tribunal.
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Bail: Security given for the release of a criminal defendant or witness from legal custody (usually in the form of money) to secure his/her appearance on the day and time appointed.
- Bequest: Property gifted by will.
- Board: means the Board of Conservation and Recreation. See Virginia Code 10.1-705
- Court: means any court vested with appropriate jurisdiction under the Constitution and laws of the Commonwealth. See Virginia Code 19.2-5
- Decedent: A deceased person.
- Department: means the Department of Conservation and Recreation. See Virginia Code 10.1-100
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- development: means the replenishment and restoration of existing public beaches. See Virginia Code 10.1-705
- Devise: To gift property by will.
- Director: means the Director of the Department of Conservation and Recreation. See Virginia Code 10.1-100
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- Erosion: means the process of destruction by the action of wind, water, or ice of the land bordering the tidal waters of the Commonwealth. See Virginia Code 10.1-705
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiduciary: shall include any one or more of the following:
a. See Virginia Code 8.01-2
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Fund: means the Forest Management of State-Owned Lands Fund. See Virginia Code 10.1-1121
- Habeas corpus: A writ that is usually used to bring a prisoner before the court to determine the legality of his imprisonment. It may also be used to bring a person in custody before the court to give testimony, or to be prosecuted.
- In forma pauperis: In the manner of a pauper. Permission given to a person to sue without payment of court fees on claim of indigence or poverty.
- Indictment: The formal charge issued by a grand jury stating that there is enough evidence that the defendant committed the crime to justify having a trial; it is used primarily for felonies.
- Judge: means any judge, associate judge or substitute judge of any court or any magistrate. See Virginia Code 19.2-5
- Locality: means a county, city or town. See Virginia Code 10.1-705
- Notary: means notary public. See Virginia Code 1-226
- Oath: includes affirmation. See Virginia Code 1-228
- Operator: means any person that operates or has operated or exercises or has exercised control over any silvicultural activity. See Virginia Code 10.1-1181.1
- Owner: means any person that (i) owns or leases land on which silvicultural activity occurs or has occurred or (ii) owns timber on land on which silvicultural activity occurs or has occurred. See Virginia Code 10.1-1181.1
- Person: shall include individuals, a trust, an estate, a partnership, an association, an order, a corporation, or any other legal or commercial entity;
6. See Virginia Code 8.01-2
- Person under a disability: shall include :
a. See Virginia Code 8.01-2
- Plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court.
- Pleadings: Written statements of the parties in a civil case of their positions. In the federal courts, the principal pleadings are the complaint and the answer.
- Pollution: means such alteration of the physical, chemical or biological properties of any state waters resulting from sediment deposition as will or is likely to create a nuisance or render such waters (i) harmful or detrimental or injurious to the public health, safety or welfare, or to the health of animals, fish or aquatic life; (ii) unsuitable with reasonable treatment for use as present or possible future sources of public water supply; or (iii) unsuitable for recreational, commercial, industrial, agricultural, or other reasonable uses. See Virginia Code 10.1-1181.1
- Pro se: A Latin term meaning "on one's own behalf"; in courts, it refers to persons who present their own cases without lawyers.
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Program: means the provisions of the Public Beach Conservation and Development Act. See Virginia Code 10.1-705
- Public beach: means a sandy beach located on a tidal shoreline suitable for bathing in a county, city or town and open to indefinite public use. See Virginia Code 10.1-705
- real estate: includes lands, tenements and hereditaments, and all rights and appurtenances thereto and interests therein, other than a chattel interest. See Virginia Code 1-219
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Remand: When an appellate court sends a case back to a lower court for further proceedings.
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- Sheriff: shall include deputy sheriffs and such other persons designated in § 15. See Virginia Code 8.01-2
- Silvicultural activity: means any forest management activity, including but not limited to the harvesting of timber, the construction of roads and trails for forest management purposes, and the preparation of property for reforestation. See Virginia Code 10.1-1181.1
- Special order: means a special order or emergency special order issued under subsection B or C of § 10. See Virginia Code 10.1-1181.1
- state agency: means the same as that term is defined in § 2. See Virginia Code 1-206
- state forest: means lands acquired for the Commonwealth by purchase, gift or lease pursuant to this section. See Virginia Code 10.1-1107
- State-owned lands: means forest land owned or managed by the various departments, agencies and institutions of the Commonwealth and designated by the Department in cooperation with the Division of Engineering and Buildings of the Department of General Services as being of sufficient size and value to benefit from a forest management plan. See Virginia Code 10.1-1121
- Statute of limitations: A law that sets the time within which parties must take action to enforce their rights.
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.
- Supreme Court: means the Supreme Court of Virginia. See Virginia Code 1-249
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Verdict: The decision of a petit jury or a judge.
- Writ: A formal written command, issued from the court, requiring the performance of a specific act.
- Writ of certiorari: An order issued by the Supreme Court directing the lower court to transmit records for a case for which it will hear on appeal.