As used in this title unless the context requires otherwise or it is otherwise specifically provided:
Terms Used In Virginia Code 22.1-1
- City: means an independent incorporated community which became a city as provided by law before noon on July 1, 1971, or which has within defined boundaries a population of 5,000 or more and which has become a city as provided by law. See Virginia Code 1-208
- Division superintendent: means the division superintendent of schools of a school division. See Virginia Code 22.1-1
- Elementary: includes kindergarten. See Virginia Code 22.1-1
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Includes: means includes, but not limited to. See Virginia Code 1-218
- Locality: means a county, city, or town as the context may require. See Virginia Code 1-221
- Middle school: means separate schools for early adolescents and the middle school grades that might be housed at elementary or high schools. See Virginia Code 22.1-1
- Person: includes any individual, corporation, partnership, association, cooperative, limited liability company, trust, joint venture, government, political subdivision, or any other legal or commercial entity and any successor, representative, agent, agency, or instrumentality thereof. See Virginia Code 1-230
- School board: means the school board that governs a school division. See Virginia Code 22.1-1
- Town: means any existing town or an incorporated community within one or more counties which became a town before noon, July 1, 1971, as provided by law or which has within defined boundaries a population of 1,000 or more and which has become a town as provided by law. See Virginia Code 1-254
“Board” or “State Board” means the Board of Education.
“Division superintendent” means the division superintendent of schools of a school division.
“Elementary” includes kindergarten.
“Elementary and secondary” and “elementary or secondary” include elementary, middle, and high school grades.
“Governing body” or “local governing body” means the board of supervisors of a county, council of a city, or council of a town, responsible for appropriating funds for such locality, as the context may require.
“Middle school” means separate schools for early adolescents and the middle school grades that might be housed at elementary or high schools.
“Parent” or “parents” means any parent, guardian, legal custodian, or other person having control or charge of a child.
“Person of school age” means a person who will have reached his fifth birthday on or before September 30 of the school year and who has not reached twenty years of age on or before August 1 of the school year.
“School board” means the school board that governs a school division.