(a) No person shall mail, ship, or otherwise deliver cigarettes in connection with a delivery sale unless prior to the first delivery sale to a consumer, the person:
Terms Used In West Virginia Code 16-9E-3
- in writing: include any representation of words, letters or figures, whether by printing, engraving, writing or otherwise. See West Virginia Code 2-2-10
- state: when applied to a part of the United States and not restricted by the context, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories, and the words "United States" also include the said district and territories. See West Virginia Code 2-2-10
(1) Obtains from the prospective consumer a certification that includes a reliable confirmation that the consumer is at least the legal minimum purchase age and a statement signed by the prospective consumer in writing that certifies the prospective consumer's address and that the consumer is at least eighteen years of age. The statement shall also confirm: (i) That the prospective consumer understands that it is illegal to sign another person's name to the certification; (ii) that the sale of cigarettes to individuals under the legal minimum purchase age is illegal; and (iii) that the purchase of cigarettes by individuals under the legal minimum purchase age is illegal under the laws of this state;
(2) Verifies the information contained in the certification provided by the prospective consumer against an appropriate database of government records available to the distributor or seller, or obtains simultaneous with the certificate as provided for in subdivision (1), a photocopy or other image of the valid, government-issued identification stating the date of birth or age of the individual placing the order;
(3) Sends to the prospective consumer, via e-mail or other means, a notice that contains: (A) A prominent and clearly legible statement that cigarette sales to a consumer below the legal minimum purchase age is illegal; (B) a prominent and clearly legible statement that consists of one of the warnings set forth in section 4(a)(1) of the federal Cigarette Labeling and Advertising Act, 15 U.S.C. §1333(a)(1), rotated on a quarterly basis; (C) a prominent and clearly legible statement that sales of cigarettes are restricted to those consumers who provide verifiable proof of age in accordance with section three of this article; and (D) a prominent and clearly legible statement that cigarette sales are subject to excise and sales taxes in this state, and an explanation of how such taxes have been, or are to be, paid with respect to the delivery sale.
(4) In the case of an order for cigarettes pursuant to an advertisement on the Internet, receives payment for the delivery sale from the prospective consumer by a credit or debit card or check that has been issued in the consumer's name.
(b) Persons accepting purchase orders for delivery sales may request that prospective consumers provide their e-mail addresses.