Terms Used In Wisconsin Statutes 175.42
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Following: when used by way of reference to any statute section, means the section next following that in which the reference is made. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Officers: when applied to corporations include directors and trustees. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Person: includes all partnerships, associations and bodies politic or corporate. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Police department: includes a department under…. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Police officer: includes a person serving under…. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- State: when applied to states of the United States, includes the District of Columbia, the commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the several territories organized by Congress. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
(1) In this section:
(a) “University” means Marquette University.
(b) “University police officer” means an officer who is employed by the university police department, who has met the requirements of s. 165.85 (4) (a) 2. and 7. a., and who has agreed to accept the duties of a law enforcement officer under the laws of this state.
(a) The university may enter into an agreement with the attorney general or with the city of Milwaukee police department to establish a university police department and employ university police officers for the purposes of maintaining public order, detecting and preventing crime, and enforcing state laws and local ordinances on the grounds of the university and in adjacent areas, as provided for in the agreement. The agreement establishing the university police department is subject to review under s. 62.50 (1m) by the board of fire and police commissioners.
1. Subject to the terms of the agreement under par. (a), university police officers have the same powers as law enforcement officers employed by the city of Milwaukee to maintain public order, to detect and prevent crime, to enforce state laws and local ordinances, and to make arrests for violations of state laws and local ordinances.
2. The law enforcement powers under subd. 1. of university police officers shall be concurrent with other law enforcement officers.
3. Subject to the terms of the agreement under par. (a), the university may assign additional duties to the university police department, including the enforcement of university regulations.
(c) The university police department shall do all of the following:
1. Ensure that each university police officer meets the requirements of s. 165.85 (4) (a) 2. and 7. a. and has agreed to accept the duties of a law enforcement officer under the laws of this state.
2. Adopt and implement written policies regarding law enforcement activities and rendering aid or assistance under this section, including a policy on notification to and cooperation with a law enforcement agency in the jurisdiction in which arrests are made.
3. Maintain liability insurance, and present evidence of the insurance to the department of justice, that does all of the following:
a. Covers the university and university police officers for acts and omissions under sub. (4).
b. Has a limit of coverage not less than $2,000,000 for any occurrence.
c. Provides that the insurer, in defending a claim against the policy, may not raise the defense of sovereign immunity of the insured up to the limits of the policy.
(3) For purposes of civil and criminal liability, a university police officer may, when in fresh pursuit, follow anywhere in the state and arrest any person for violation of the laws of this state, if the conditions of sub. (2) (c) are met.
(a) Except as otherwise provided in an agreement under sub. (2) (a), the university is liable for all acts and omissions of a university police officer while acting under this section, and neither the state nor any political subdivision of the state may be held liable for any action of a university police officer taken under the authority of this section. For purposes of civil and criminal liability, a university police officer acting under this section is considered to be acting in an official capacity.
(b) The university shall pay in full any judgment in which the university and the state or a political subdivision of the state are found jointly and severally liable for any act of a university police officer taken under this section and shall reimburse the state or political subdivision for all reasonable attorneys fees and expenses incurred in defending the action.