Terms Used In Wisconsin Statutes 30.40
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Following: when used by way of reference to any statute section, means the section next following that in which the reference is made. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Highway: includes all public ways and thoroughfares and all bridges upon the same. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Land: includes lands, tenements and hereditaments and all rights thereto and interests therein. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Municipality: includes cities and villages; it may be construed to include towns. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: includes all partnerships, associations and bodies politic or corporate. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Property: includes real and personal property. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- State: when applied to states of the United States, includes the District of Columbia, the commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the several territories organized by Congress. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- United States: includes the District of Columbia, the states, the commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the territories organized by congress. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
(1) “Agricultural use” means aquaculture; beekeeping; dairying; egg production; feedlots; grazing; floriculture; raising of livestock; raising of poultry; raising of fruits, nuts and berries; raising of grains, grass, mint and seed crops; raising of vegetables; and sod farming.
(1r) “Bluff zone” means land in the riverway in the areas that are 200 feet in width from behind the bluff line to 100 feet below the bluff line.
(2) “Board” means the Lower Wisconsin State Riverway board.
(3) “Boat” has the meaning given in s. 30.50 (2).
(3g) “Forester” means a person who is employed by the department to carry out assigned forest management responsibilities or who has received a bachelor’s or higher degree from a school of forestry with curriculum accredited by the society of American foresters in the management of forest resources.
(3r) “High-voltage transmission line” means a conductor of electric energy exceeding one mile in length designed for operation at a nominal voltage of 100 kilovolts or more, together with associated facilities or structures.
(4) “Highway” means a way or thoroughfare, except a waterway, that is used for vehicular travel by the public.
(6) “Mobile home” has the meaning given in s. 101.91 (10).
(7) “Modify” means to renovate, remodel, expand in size or otherwise change a structure that is not damaged or destroyed.
(7m) “Nonmetallic mining” has the meaning given in s. 295.11 (3).
(8) “Pedestrian” has the meaning given in s. 340.01 (43).
(9) “Person” means a natural person, corporation, limited liability company, partnership, association, cooperative, unincorporated cooperative association, municipality or other local governmental unit, private or public utility, municipal power district, estate or trust, the United States, a federal agency, the state of Wisconsin or a state agency.
(10) Notwithstanding s. 30.01 (5), “pier” means a structure extending into the river from the shore with water on both sides.
(10m) “Private drive” means a way in private ownership that is used for vehicular travel upon a single parcel of real property.
(11) “Private road” means a way or thoroughfare in private ownership and used for vehicular travel between 2 or more parcels of real property, not under common ownership, and a highway.
(12) “Public access site” means a site owned by the state or a municipality and that provides public access to the river for boats and for recreational users. “Public access site” includes a structure in conjunction with the site that is necessary for the operation and use by the public of the site.
(12m) “Recreational trail” means an unpaved trail or pathway that is used for recreational purposes and is not necessary for access to the river due to the difficulty of the terrain.
(13) “Refuse” means combustible and noncombustible rubbish, including, but not limited to, ashes, paper, glass, cloth, wood, metal and litter.
(14) “River” means the Wisconsin River downstream from the dam at Prairie du Sac.
(14m) “River edge zone” means land in the riverway in the areas that begin from the point at which tree growth begins at the edge of the river and that extend 75 feet landward from that point.
(15) “Riverway” means the area within the boundaries of the Lower Wisconsin State Riverway.
(16) “Solid waste” has the meaning given in s. 289.01 (33).
(17) “Stairway” means a structure constructed of wood or other material that is necessary due to the steepness of a slope for access to the river.
(18) “Structure” means a building, facility or other unit that is constructed or otherwise erected.
(18m) “Timber” means standing trees which, because of their size, quality and number, are marketable.
(19) “Utility facility” means any pipe, pipeline, duct, wire line, conduit, pole, tower, equipment or other structure used for one of the following:
(a) The transmission or distribution of electrical power or light that is not a high-voltage transmission line.
(b) The transmission, distribution or delivery of heat, water, gas, sewer, telegraph or telecommunication services.
(20) “Visible from the river” means possible to be seen from any point on the river.
(21) “Visually inconspicuous” means difficult to be seen and not readily noticeable from any point on the river during the time when the leaves are on the deciduous trees.
(22) “Walkway” means a paved or unpaved trail or pathway or a structure constructed of wood or other material that is necessary due to the difficulty of the terrain for access to the river.
(22m) “Waterproof container” means a can, bucket, bag, box or other similar receptacle made of a material that retains its usefulness when exposed to water.
(23) Notwithstanding s. 30.01 (8), “wharf” means a structure in the river extending along the shore and generally connected with the uplands throughout its length.
(23m) “Woody vegetation” includes trees that are not timber.
(24) “Working day” has the meaning given in s. 227.01 (14).