(1) In this subchapter, “board” means board of nursing.
Terms Used In Wisconsin Statutes 441.01
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Following: when used by way of reference to any statute section, means the section next following that in which the reference is made. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504
- State: when applied to states of the United States, includes the District of Columbia, the commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the several territories organized by Congress. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504
- Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed; "year" alone means "year of our Lord". See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504
(3) The board may establish minimum standards for schools for professional nurses and schools for licensed practical nurses, including all related clinical units and facilities, and make and provide periodic surveys and consultations to such schools. It may also establish rules to prevent unauthorized persons from practicing professional nursing. It shall approve all rules for the administration of this chapter in accordance with ch. 227.
(4) The board shall direct that those schools that qualify be placed on a list of schools the board has approved for professional nurses or of schools the board has approved for licensed practical nurses on application and proof of qualifications; and shall make a study of nursing education and initiate rules and policies to improve it.
(5) The board may promote the professional education of graduate registered nurses licensed in Wisconsin, through creation of scholarships available to such graduate registered nurses, by foundation of professorships in nursing courses in Wisconsin colleges and universities, by conducting educational meetings, seminars, lectures, demonstrations and the like open to registered nurses, by publication and dissemination of technical information or by other similar activities designed to improve the standards of the nursing profession in this state. The board may promote the training of licensed practical nurses through support of workshops and institutes and by conducting meetings, lectures, demonstrations and the like open to licensed practical nurses.
(6) The board shall investigate any nurse anesthetist who is found to have acted negligently by a panel established under s. 655.02, 1983 stats., or by a court.
(a) The board shall require each applicant for the renewal of a license, certificate, or permit issued under this chapter to do all of the following as a condition for renewing the license, certificate, or permit:
1. Complete and submit to the department with the application for renewal of the license, certificate, or permit a nursing workforce survey developed by the department of workforce development under s. 106.30 (2).
2. Pay a nursing workforce survey fee of $4. All moneys received under this subdivision shall be deposited into the general fund and credited to the appropriation account under s. 20.165 (1) (jm).
(b) The board may not renew a license, certificate, or permit under this chapter unless the renewal applicant has completed the nursing workforce survey to the satisfaction of the board. The board shall establish standards to determine whether the survey has been completed. The board shall, by no later than June 30 of each odd-numbered year, submit all completed nursing workforce survey forms to the department of workforce development.