Terms Used In Wisconsin Statutes 64.40
- Following: when used by way of reference to any statute section, means the section next following that in which the reference is made. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Month: means a calendar month unless otherwise expressed. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Population: means that shown by the most recent regular or special federal census. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed; "year" alone means "year of our Lord". See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
(1) Any city described in s. 64.39 may, in the manner therein provided, vote on the question of changing from a mayor and 2 council members to a mayor and one alderperson for each 4,000 or major fraction thereof of population to be elected at large, the mayor to receive a salary of not to exceed $3,600 per year and each alderperson to receive a salary of not to exceed $100 per month. The question to be submitted shall be substantially as follows: “Shall the council of the city of …. be increased from a mayor and 2 council members to a mayor and one alderperson for each 4,000 or major fraction thereof of population in accordance with the provisions of s. 64.40 of the statutes?”.
(2) If a majority of the votes cast upon the question described in sub. (1) are in favor thereof there shall be elected at the election held as provided by law upon the first Tuesday of April next succeeding a mayor and one alderperson for each 4,000 or major fraction thereof of population, all elected at large. The mayor and alderpersons shall be nominated and elected in the manner provided by law for the nomination and election of candidates in cities other than those operating under this chapter. The alderpersons first elected shall be divided as nearly as may be into 2 equal classes, one class to serve for one year and the other class to serve for 2 years from the 3rd Tuesday of April following their election. Thereafter the term of each alderperson elected for a full term shall be 2 years. The term of office of the mayor shall be 2 years. The mayor and alderpersons shall hold office until the election and qualification of their respective successors.