Terms Used In Wisconsin Statutes 980.0305
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Person: includes all partnerships, associations and bodies politic or corporate. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Public defender: Represent defendants who can't afford an attorney in criminal matters.
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- State: when applied to states of the United States, includes the District of Columbia, the commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the several territories organized by Congress. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed; "year" alone means "year of our Lord". See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
(1) Inquiry. At or after the conclusion of a proceeding under this chapter in which the state public defender has provided counsel for a person, the court may inquire as to the person’s ability to reimburse the state for the costs of representation. If the court determines that the person is able to make reimbursement for all or part of the costs of representation, the court may order the person to reimburse the state an amount not to exceed the maximum amount established by the public defender board under s. 977.075 (4). Upon the court’s request, the state public defender shall conduct a determination of indigency under s. 977.07 and report the results of the determination to the court.
(2) Payment. Reimbursement ordered under this section shall be made to the clerk of courts of the county where the proceedings took place. The clerk of courts shall transmit payments under this section to the county treasurer, who shall deposit 25 percent of the payment amount in the county treasury and transmit the remainder to the secretary of administration. Payments transmitted to the secretary of administration shall be deposited in the general fund and credited to the appropriation account under s. 20.550 (1) (L).
(3) Report. By January 31st of each year, the clerk of courts for each county shall report to the state public defender the total amount of reimbursements ordered under sub. (1) in the previous calendar year and the total amount of reimbursements paid to the clerk under sub. (2) in the previous year.