Termination of Parental Rights

Courts must sometimes determine whether abusive or dangerously neglectful parents should retain custody of their own children. When a child is not being safely cared for, and if parents are judged unfit, a local government social services department may seek to terminate their parental rights and to free the child for adoption or alternative care. A child may be placed in foster care while a custody case is pending. However, before removing a child from her or his parents, the state must produce “clear and convincing” evidence that terminating parental rights is the best option for the child.

Here on LawServer you’ll find relevant state laws about termination of parental rights, and related legal Questions & Answers.