Current as of: 2009
1. If funding is available, Iowa state university shall provide for a livestock odor mitigation evaluation effort as provided in section 266.42 . The effort shall accomplish all of the following objectives:
a . Ensure ease of its use and timeliness in producing results, including reports and the issuance of a livestock odor mitigation certificate as provided in this section .
b . Ensure a cost-effective process of evaluation.
c . Provide a level of evaluation that corresponds to the complexity of the proposed site of construction, including unique characteristics associated with that site.
2. The livestock odor mitigation evaluation effort shall provide for increasing levels of participation by a person who requests the evaluation in cooperation with the university as follows:
a . A level one evaluation that provides an opportunity for the person to complete a simple questionnaire which may be accessed by using the internet without assistance by university personnel.
b . A level two evaluation that provides an opportunity for the person to consult with a specialist designated by the university who shall assist in performing a comprehensive evaluation of the site of the proposed construction.
c . A level three evaluation which provides an opportunity for the person to participate in a community-based odor assessment model that uses predictive computer modeling to analyze the potential odor intensity, duration, and frequency for a neighbor from a livestock operation.
3. An evaluation may account for all factors impacting upon odor exposure as determined relevant by the university. The factors may vary based upon the type of evaluation performed. Factors which may be considered include but are not limited to all of the following:
a . Characteristics relating to the proposed site including but not limited to terrain, weather patterns, surrounding vegetative barriers, the proximity of neighbors, and contributing odor sources.
b . The type and size of the structure proposed to be constructed and its relationship to existing livestock operation structures.
4. At the completion of an evaluation, the university shall provide the participating person with a report including its findings and recommendations. A report may vary based upon the type of evaluation performed. The report resulting from a level one or level two evaluation may recommend that the participating person conduct a higher level evaluation. A report resulting from a level two or level three evaluation may recommend modifications to the design or orientation of the livestock operation structure proposed to be constructed, the adoption of odor mitigating practices, or the installation of odor mitigating technologies.
5. A participating person who has completed the level of evaluation as recommended by the university may request that the university issue the participating person a livestock odor mitigation evaluation certificate. The university shall issue a certificate to the participating person that verifies the person’s completion of an evaluation that satisfies the requirements of this section . The university shall not issue a certificate to a participating person who has not completed the level of evaluation recommended by the university. The certificate shall identify the name of the participating person and the site where the construction is proposed. However, it shall not include any other information.
Iowa Laws: Specific Schools