The following definitions apply in this part:
Terms Used In 6 CFR 1003.2
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- Public law: A public bill or joint resolution that has passed both chambers and been enacted into law. Public laws have general applicability nationwide.
Board means the Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board, established by the Implementing Recommendations of the 9/11 Commission Act of 2007, Public Law 110-53.
Chairman means the Chairman of the Board, as appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate under section 801(a) of the Implementing Recommendations of the 9/11 Commission Act of 2007, Public Law 110-53, or any person to whom the Board delegated authority in the matter concerned.
General Counsel means the Board’s principal legal advisor, or his or her designee.
Meeting means the deliberations of three or more Board members that determine or result in the joint conduct or disposition of official Board business. A meeting does not include:
(1) Notational voting or similar consideration of business for the purpose of recording votes, whether by circulation of material to members’ individually in writing or by a polling of the members individually by phone.
(2) Action by three or more members to:
(i) Open or close a meeting or to release or withhold information pursuant to section 1003.6 of this part;
(ii) Set an agenda for a proposed meeting;
(iii) Call a meeting on less than seven days’ notice, as permitted by §1003.4; or
(iv) Change the subject matter or the determination to open or to close a publicly announced meeting under §1003.7.
(3) A session attended by three or more members for the purpose of having the Board’s staff or expert consultants, another federal agency, or other persons or organizations brief or otherwise provide information to the Board concerning any matters within the purview of the Board, provided that the members do not engage in deliberations that determine or result in the joint conduct or disposition of official business on such matters.
(4) A gathering of members for the purpose of holding informal, preliminary discussions or exchanges of views which do not effectively predetermine official action.
Member means an individual duly appointed and confirmed to the Board.
Public observation means attendance by the public at a meeting of the Board, but does not include public participation.
Public participation means the presentation or discussion of information, raising of questions, or other manner of involvement in a meeting of the Board by the public in a manner that contributes to the disposition of official Board business.
Sunshine Act means the Government in the Sunshine Act, 5 U.S.C. 552b.