Terms Used In Idaho Code > Title 74 > Chapter 2
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Decision: means any determination, action, vote or final disposition upon a motion, proposal, resolution, order, ordinance or measure on which a vote of a governing body is required, at any meeting at which a quorum is present, but shall not include those ministerial or administrative actions necessary to carry out a decision previously adopted in a meeting held in compliance with this chapter. See Idaho Code 74-202
- Deliberation: means the receipt or exchange of information or opinion relating to a decision, but shall not include informal or impromptu discussions of a general nature that do not specifically relate to a matter then pending before the public agency for decision. See Idaho Code 74-202
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- Executive session: means any meeting or part of a meeting of a governing body that is closed to any persons for deliberation on certain matters. See Idaho Code 74-202
- Governing body: means the members of any public agency that consists of two (2) or more members, with the authority to make decisions for or recommendations to a public agency regarding any matter. See Idaho Code 74-202
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- Meeting: means the convening of a governing body of a public agency to make a decision or to deliberate toward a decision on any matter. See Idaho Code 74-202
- Month: means a calendar month, unless otherwise expressed. See Idaho Code 73-114
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person;
Idaho Code 73-114
Property: includes both real and personal property. See Idaho Code 73-114 Public agency: means :
Idaho Code 74-202
Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business. Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land. Regular meeting: means the convening of a governing body of a public agency on the date fixed by law or rule, to conduct the business of the agency. See Idaho Code 74-202 Roll call vote : A vote in which each legislator votes "yea" or "nay" as his or her name is called by the Clerk, so that the names of legislators voting on each side are recorded. Special meeting: is a convening of the governing body of a public agency pursuant to a special call for the conduct of business as specified in the call. See Idaho Code 74-202 State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories; and the words "United States" may include the District of Columbia and territories. See Idaho Code 73-114 Statute: A law passed by a legislature. Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries. Transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition.