(a) In general
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the Corporation, the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, the Resolution Trust Corporation, any other agency, department, and instrumentality of the United States, and any corporation owned or controlled by the United States may not, directly or indirectly, make any payment or provide any assistance, guarantee, or transfer under this chapter or any other provision of law in connection with any insured depository institution which would have the direct or indirect effect of satisfying, in whole or in part, any claim against the institution for obligations of the institution which would constitute deposits as defined in section 1813(l) of this title but for subparagraphs (A) and (B) of section 1813(l)(5) of this title.
Terms Used In 12 USC 1831r
- Board of Directors: means the Board of Directors of the Corporation. See 10 USC 949s
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- depository institution: means any bank or savings association. See 10 USC 949s
- Federal Reserve System: The central bank of the United States. The Fed, as it is commonly called, regulates the U.S. monetary and financial system. The Federal Reserve System is composed of a central governmental agency in Washington, D.C. (the Board of Governors) and twelve regional Federal Reserve Banks in major cities throughout the United States. Source: OCC
- insured depository institution: includes any uninsured branch or agency of a foreign bank or a commercial lending company owned or controlled by a foreign bank for purposes of section 1818 of this title. See 10 USC 949s
- writing: includes printing and typewriting and reproductions of visual symbols by photographing, multigraphing, mimeographing, manifolding, or otherwise. See 19 USC 2291
Subsection (a) shall not apply to any payment, assistance, guarantee, or transfer made or provided by the Corporation if the Board of Directors determines in writing that such action is not inconsistent with any requirement of section 1823(c) of this title.
(c) Discount window lending
No provision of this section shall be construed as prohibiting any Federal Reserve bank from making advances or otherwise extending credit pursuant to the Federal Reserve Act [12 U.S.C. 221 et seq.] to any insured depository institution to the extent that such advance or extension of credit is consistent with the conditions and limitations imposed under section 10B of such Act [12 U.S.C. 347b].