(a) Comprehensive program, etc.
As a separate part of the annual report submitted under section 5914(a) 1 of title 42 with respect to the comprehensive plan and program then in effect under section 5905(a) and (b) of title 42, the Secretary of Energy shall submit to Congress an annual report of activities under this chapter. Such report shall include–
Terms Used In 15 USC 2709
- advanced automobile propulsion system: means an energy conversion system, including engine and drive train, which utilizes advanced technology and is suitable for use in an advanced automobile. See 15 USC 2702
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- State: means any State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, or any other territory or possession of the United States. See 15 USC 2702
(1) a current comprehensive program definition for implementing this chapter;
(2) an evaluation of the state of automobile propulsion system research and development in the United States;
(3) the number and amount of contracts and grants made under this chapter;
(4) an analysis of the progress made in developing advanced automobile propulsion system technology; and
(5) suggestions for improvements in advanced automobile propulsion system research and development, including recommendations for legislation.
(b) Study on financial obligation guarantees
The Secretary of Energy shall conduct a survey of developers, lending institutions, and other appropriate persons or institutions and shall otherwise make a study for the purpose of determining whether, and under what conditions, research, development, demonstration, and commercial availability of advanced automobile propulsion system technology may be aided by the guarantee of financial obligations by the Federal Government. The Secretary of Energy shall report the results of such survey and study to the Congress within 1 year after February 25, 1978. Such report shall include an examination of those stages of advanced automobile propulsion system technology research, development, demonstration, and commercialization for which financial obligation guarantees may be useful or appropriate and shall contain such legislative recommendations as may be necessary.