(a) The provisions of sections 1301, 1302, 1303, and 1304 shall not apply to–
Terms Used In 18 USC 1307
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- organization: means a person other than an individual. See 18 USC 18
- United States: as used in this title in a territorial sense, includes all places and waters, continental or insular, subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, except the Canal Zone. See 18 USC 5
(1) an advertisement, list of prizes, or other information concerning a lottery conducted by a State acting under the authority of State law which is–
(A) contained in a publication published in that State or in a State which conducts such a lottery; or
(B) broadcast by a radio or television station licensed to a location in that State or a State which conducts such a lottery; or
(2) an advertisement, list of prizes, or other information concerning a lottery, gift enterprise, or similar scheme, other than one described in paragraph (1), that is authorized or not otherwise prohibited by the State in which it is conducted and which is–
(A) conducted by a not-for-profit organization or a governmental organization; or
(B) conducted as a promotional activity by a commercial organization and is clearly occasional and ancillary to the primary business of that organization.
(b) The provisions of sections 1301, 1302, and 1303 shall not apply to the transportation or mailing–
(1) to addresses within a State of equipment, tickets, or material concerning a lottery which is conducted by that State acting under the authority of State law; or
(2) to an addressee within a foreign country of equipment, tickets, or material designed to be used within that foreign country in a lottery which is authorized by the law of that foreign country.
(c) For the purposes of this section (1) “State” means a State of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or any territory or possession of the United States; and (2) “foreign country” means any empire, country, dominion, colony, or protectorate, or any subdivision thereof (other than the United States, its territories or possessions).
(d) For the purposes of subsection (b) of this section “lottery” means the pooling of proceeds derived from the sale of tickets or chances and allotting those proceeds or parts thereof by chance to one or more chance takers or ticket purchasers. “Lottery” does not include the placing or accepting of bets or wagers on sporting events or contests. For purposes of this section, the term a “not-for-profit organization” means any organization that would qualify as tax exempt under section 501 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986.