Terms Used In 18 USC 1388
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- individual: shall include every infant member of the species homo sapiens who is born alive at any stage of development. See 1 USC 8
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- United States: as used in this title in a territorial sense, includes all places and waters, continental or insular, subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, except the Canal Zone. See 18 USC 5
(1)(A) takes place within the boundaries of the location of such funeral or takes place within 300 feet of the point of the intersection between–
(i) the boundary of the location of such funeral; and
(ii) a road, pathway, or other route of ingress to or egress from the location of such funeral; and
(B) includes any individual willfully making or assisting in the making of any noise or diversion–
(i) that is not part of such funeral and that disturbs or tends to disturb the peace or good order of such funeral; and
(ii) with the intent of disturbing the peace or good order of such funeral;
(2)(A) is within 500 feet of the boundary of the location of such funeral; and
(B) includes any individual–
(i) willfully and without proper authorization impeding or tending to impede the access to or egress from such location; and
(ii) with the intent to impede the access to or egress from such location; or
(3) is on or near the boundary of the residence, home, or domicile of any surviving member of the deceased person’s immediate family and includes any individual willfully making or assisting in the making of any noise or diversion–
(A) that disturbs or tends to disturb the peace of the persons located at such location; and
(B) with the intent of disturbing such peace.
(A) to prevent and restrain violations of this section; and
(B) for the adjudication of any claims for relief under this section.
(A) sue therefor in any appropriate United States district court or in any court of competent jurisdiction; and
(B) recover damages as provided in subsection (d) and the cost of the suit, including reasonable attorneys’ fees.
(1) the term “Armed Forces” has the meaning given the term in section 101 of title 10 and includes members and former members of the National Guard who were employed in the service of the United States; and
(2) the term “immediate family” means, with respect to a person, the immediate family members of such person, as such term is defined in section 115 of this title.